Just received Red Light ticket - 3+ years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthorton75

I just received a ticket in the mail for running a red light. The ticket is almost 4 years old.

My address did not change over the last 6 years and there is no indication they tried to send the ticket to a different address and had problems reaching me. It just looks like they waited a very long time to send me the ticket.

I am in Dallas, TX. Someone told me the city of Dallas, TX has 60 days to send you the red light ticket, but I don't know what I can do if they wait so long.

Can I beat this ticket because they waited almost 4 years to send me the ticket? The photos do show my car running the red light. The video link they provided does not show my car in the video at all.

Those aren't legal traffic citations.

If you don't pay them, there is nothing they can do to you, but harass you.

That said, beating that revenue demand will be easy.

The SOL has tolled in that puppy. That revenue demand was DOA.

Call the number and see what the scammers tell you.

Their lies are very amusing.

Thank you Army Judge.

I call the number but all the options only lead to how to pay the ticket. There are options on the letter to "Request a hearing by mail" where you "...indicate why the citation should be dismissed and attach all supporting documentation."

So I was thinking about attaching a print-out of the part that says Dallas has 60 days to send out the red light ticket to the offender. Unfortunately I'm supposed to get all this together with my Affidavit signature and a Notary Public. Wow, they make it to where you just want to pay the $75 fine and get it over with.

Check your driving record with the state and see if the violation is listed. If not, I would ignore this. If it is listed then you might want to look further into your options to get it removed. After 4 years it should have already been removed even if it had been there previously.

Check your driving record with the state and see if the violation is listed. If not, I would ignore this. If it is listed then you might want to look further into your options to get it removed. After 4 years it should have already been removed even if it had been there previously.

Moose, in Texas, those citations aren't entered on drivers records.

The state doesn't take a stand in those revenue demands.

Ignoring them causes you no harm.

There is no method for collecting them under state law.

These are ordinance violations, not state traffic violations or infractions.

Thanks for the replies. It is an ordinance violation as army judge stated and "only" a civil violation. The $75 fee has a $25 late charge if not paid on time. I heard they can turn you over to a collections agency if you don't pay and may block you from renewing your drivers license too.

I'm having a hard time finding the specific "statute of limitations" for a civil fee like this but I did find in one of the city's codes:
"...the chief of police shall send a red light citation to the owner of the motor vehicle involved in the red light violation within 30 calendar days after the date the violation is alleged to have occurred."

I don't know if they'll let me off if I bring this up or should I take a different angle?

Thanks for the replies. It is an ordinance violation as army judge stated and "only" a civil violation. The $75 fee has a $25 late charge if not paid on time. I heard they can turn you over to a collections agency if you don't pay and may block you from renewing your drivers license too.

I'm having a hard time finding the specific "statute of limitations" for a civil fee like this but I did find in one of the city's codes:
"...the chief of police shall send a red light citation to the owner of the motor vehicle involved in the red light violation within 30 calendar days after the date the violation is alleged to have occurred."

I don't know if they'll let me off if I bring this up or should I take a different angle?

These types of revenue scams can not be used to withhold renewing your drivers license or license plates.

The DOT has no ability to collect or enforce these scams!!!!!

All they can do is hire a scavenger debt collector to lick the soles of your shoes.

In Texas, they can't attach your wages, home, or bank accounts for these scams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back