Just looking for an opinion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceBabe

If a woman about to give birth said this to you: "I know that because of my history of depression I am more likely to develop postpartum depression and all the stories I hear about women with severe postpartum depression hurting their kids scare me. I want to get back into therapy and back on medication [she was off meds because of her pregnancy] ASAP because I am afraid of developing postpartum depression." Would you assume that she was having thoughts of hurting her baby and think that her baby was in any danger?

The answer is we don't know because we are not in her head to really see what she is thinking or will be thinking after she delivers the baby. The best way to handle this is to have family and friends surround her after she delivers the child and, if they recognize any signs of post partum, to have a medical professional assess the situation right away and get her the medications she will need. Good Luck!

The best way to handle this is to have family and friends surround her after she delivers the child and, if they recognize any signs of post partum, to have a medical professional assess the situation right away and get her the medications she will need. Good Luck!

That was what we thought, too, but apparently the doctors/hospital personnel she said this to felt otherwise and called in Child Protective Services. Thanks for your response!

i wouldn't automatically assume that. just because she's scared she *might* have postpartum and *might* want to hurt her child doesn't mean that she already feels that way..she just knows that with her history there's a higher chance that she'll feel that way, and she wants to make sure she does everything in her power to prevent it. you hear about crazy moms all over the news and it's scary to a new mother, you wonder, "geez, am I going to feel that way"? if you're close to this person just try to suport her, don't be judgemental, and if she does tell you she might hurt herself or her child, get her help without making her feel like she's a bad person....at least she is trying to get help and prevent anything bad from happening
(6yrs as a psychologist)

That was what we thought, too, but apparently the doctors/hospital personnel she said this to felt otherwise and called in Child Protective Services. Thanks for your response!

Doctors are mandated reporters. This means they are required to report any "suspected" abuse no matter what. Doctors filing a report means little as they were only acting in accordance with the law

Yes, but now CPS is on her back and even though we've explained what happened AND gotten another psychiatrist to examine her and state, in writing, that she is NOT a danger to her baby, they are proceeding to try to take the baby away from her. She lives with my husband and I and we are supporting her 100%. She is already back on medication (which she only stopped because the psychiatrists would not prescribe it while she was pregnant) but CPS is making is sound as if she wilfully stopped taking her medication and seeing her psychiatrist. We have to appear in court next week and we have retained a lawyer. With any luck (which I don't expect, but hope for anyway) this will all be cleared up quickly.

this is so silly....when there is a real problem, CPS could care less. But they waste their money (well, our money really) on things like this, where the parent hasn't done anything wrong. Where are they when parents sent their kids to school looking like prostitutes and gansters, and talk to them about their sex lives? and we wonder why kids have so many problems...

this is so silly....when there is a real problem, CPS could care less.
Blatantly not true. That may be your impression, and sometimes they do make mistakes (any overworked, understaffed, and unappreciated agency is bound to have problems).

But they waste their money (well, our money really) on things like this, where the parent hasn't done anything wrong.
Depending on the details, an argument can likely be made that the woman is a danger to her child ... a depressed single mom on medication for mental health issues expressing concerns of further depression would certainly give them grounds for concern! Chances are, if they are moving to permanently remove the child, there are some other issues here as well.

Where are they when parents sent their kids to school looking like prostitutes and gansters, and talk to them about their sex lives? and we wonder why kids have so many problems...
CPS is not the style police ... as crude as some parents allow their children to dress sometimes, clothing a teen in poor taste is not generally going to be seen as neglect. And if parents don't talk to kids about sex, who is supposed to? Frankly, I am horrified at some of what the schools teach about sex and promiscuity so sometimes I'd rather they just shut up and let us parents do it.

- Carl

Chances are, if they are moving to permanently remove the child, there are some other issues here as well.
Not true; there are NO other issues here. However, yesterday in court they pretty much said that as far as they are concerned, any woman with my daughter's history of depression and hospitalizations for that depression will come under scrutiny when they have a child in the county where I live. And they wonder why women suffering from postpartum depression (which my daughter is NOT but is only afraid of having happen) are so afraid to seek help.

Not true; there are NO other issues here. However, yesterday in court they pretty much said that as far as they are concerned, any woman with my daughter's history of depression and hospitalizations for that depression will come under scrutiny when they have a child in the county where I live. And they wonder why women suffering from postpartum depression (which my daughter is NOT but is only afraid of having happen) are so afraid to seek help.
Then there ARE other issues. Apparently they have developed information or can articulate a threat to the child based upon her actions and her history - thus, they are not taking action just because she made a guess she might have a problem.

I'm not saying that the actions they are taking are right, but the actions are intended to help protect the child. I would guess that after she receives treatment or is cleared by a psychiatrist, she will likely have her child returned. Reunification is the ultimate goal.

- Carl

Reminds me of how CPS never did anything when i was being beat by my step father with my mother's assistance for trying to run away from a hostile environment.They called it "necessary restraint"(him holding me down) and "acceptable disciplinary action" (both of them hitting me for trying to leave).

But yeah....that CPS is doing a GREAT job :D

Blatantly not true. That may be your impression, and sometimes they do make mistakes (any overworked, understaffed, and unappreciated agency is bound to have problems).

Depending on the details, an argument can likely be made that the woman is a danger to her child ... a depressed single mom on medication for mental health issues expressing concerns of further depression would certainly give them grounds for concern! Chances are, if they are moving to permanently remove the child, there are some other issues here as well.

CPS is not the style police ... as crude as some parents allow their children to dress sometimes, clothing a teen in poor taste is not generally going to be seen as neglect. And if parents don't talk to kids about sex, who is supposed to? Frankly, I am horrified at some of what the schools teach about sex and promiscuity so sometimes I'd rather they just shut up and let us parents do it.

- Carl

Reminds me of how CPS never did anything when i was being beat by my step father with my mother's assistance for trying to run away from a hostile environment.They called it "necessary restraint"(him holding me down) and "acceptable disciplinary action" (both of them hitting me for trying to leave).

But yeah....that CPS is doing a GREAT job :D

Where we do not know the detail sin your case nor do I care to hear them on this thread. Your case, if true, is an isolated issue and hardly a blanket cover for al CPS actions

There are bad situations and poor investigations. But, even CPS must operate within the law. One man's "beating" is another man's discipline, and depending on the law of the state in question the "beating" may be perfectly lawful. Plus, if there is no proof of the assault in question, who do you think the agency is more likely to believe? A child trying to get out of the home, or parents that are (presumably) acting or explaining their actions reasonably or at least articulating that they are within the confines of the law.

I see many situations where *I* do not think the environment is good for the child, but that I have no legal recourse to take action. The same goes with CPS. They have laws and local policies to adhere to, and not every offense against a child can be proven just as not every crime can be solved. Even in those cases where we KNOW a suspect is guilty of a crime, if we cannot prove it we cannot act.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back