Just got served an eviction notice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopeless2010

In Cook County, IL.

We've been behind in the rent (Aug & Sept) and we're trying to make it right with the landlord. I've been unemployed for some time now and we're now borrowing money to pay it all.

I sent one month's rent a week ago only to be told that they won't accept ANY payment unless it's for both months + attorney fees. I understand this and all but I'm wondering if paying will stop the eviction completely.

Any advice?

hopeless2010 said:
In Cook County, IL.

We've been behind in the rent (Aug & Sept) and we're trying to make it right with the landlord. I've been unemployed for some time now and we're now borrowing money to pay it all.

I sent one month's rent a week ago only to be told that they won't accept ANY payment unless it's for both months + attorney fees. I understand this and all but I'm wondering if paying will stop the eviction completely.

Any advice?

I'll have to recheck Illinois statutes, but you can cure the default if you have all the money and offer to pay at the eviction proceeding. I advise to bring cash. If you owe $3,000, bring $3,000 cash and offer to pay it all in open court. You are allowed to fully cute the debt in open court, plus all fees. You do that, you don't get evicted!

Have you been served?
what kind of notice?
Do you reside in the City of Chicago, or Cook County?

Bone up on the eviction process in Illinois, Cook County, and Chicago.

http://www.rentlaw.com/eviction/illinoiseviction.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back