Just crashed

Sineadn

Jurisdiction
Europe
Just been envolved in a crash in Republic of Ireland. I was driving through a village and I intended to park on the road side to my left. I was indicating left but there was no space so I flicked on my indicator to the right and quickly turned to park on the opposite side of the road. A van ran into the back off me as I was turning, he was intending to over take me. There was a lot of damage to his van. I did not take fully responsibility at the road side or to the Garda because I think the van driver was speeding. Point of contact on my car was drivers side rear quarter panel (corner of bumper) what would you do? How could speeding be proved? Not sure what to do

This is primarily a US board and our laws are not necessarily the same as yours. You'll need to speak to legal counsel in Ireland.

Speed can sometimes be determined by the extent of the damage, but if there are no injuries i wouldn't expect anyone to go to the expense of figuring that out.
It sounds to me as if you made your quick turn to the right when it was not safe to do so. Having just signaled left you likely did not allow reasonable time for anyone to see or prepare for your right turn.
Although struck from behind, it seems there may be shared responsibility here.

Back