Jurisdiction Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

McsTX

I have 2 vechicles I own, the one in question being my old truck that I have replaced but still own but dont ever drive. I had been keeping it in an extra garage at a relatives house this past year, but had to bring it back to my house due to my family members daughter turning 16 and getting a car of her own.

My question is, I was driving it back to the house and of course the registration and inspection stickers were both out, as well as i had no insurance on it and I of course got pulled over for an improper lane change less than a quarter mile from my house (yeah my luck I got the biggest asshole cop in the country).
What i am curios about is the fact that I live right on the border between to cities and where the officer pulled me over ended up being in the different city than he worked for. Is the fact that where I was finally able to get pulled over safely out of traffic not in his jurisdiction grounds for dismissal? He ended up writing me tickets for registration, inspection, lane change and driving without a license, which is the big deal cause they said my license could be suspended for that.
Even though exactly where the lane change was made, I'm not exactly sure where on city ends and the other begins down that main road, but I do know that where he wrote me the ticket he did not have jurisdiction so please ladies and gentlemen give me some good news.

No, the traffic stop was legal.
He observed the offense in his city, and effected the stop in the other.
Some cities share traffic enforcement along their borders.
Either way, nothing was illegal about the stop.

The license and registration can be cured by getting the vehicle registered and inspected.
The driving without a license, do you NOT have a license, or did you NOT have it on your person?

If you have a license, but weren't carrying it, that can easily be fixed.
Bring it to court, and the ticket will be dismissed.

The same goes for the license, registration, and inspection.
Get them up to date, and they will be dismissed.
Or, bring proof that you sold trhe vehicle for salvage.
The ticket will be kicked.

That only leaves you with the lane change.
If that is all that is left, take a traffic school class online for $25!
The ticket won't be dismissed, it will be vaporized.
It'll be like it never happened.

Most lawyers will charge you $500 for this, I'll give it to just you for free.
You can ask the court for a deferred disposition on the lane change.
You serve an unsupervised probation, get no citations for 90 days, the ticket is vaporized.
It never happened.
It costs a little more, but its worth it.

Now, if you had no license and got popped by the popo, what were you thinking?
It isn't just about expired registrations and inspection stickers and lane changes, its about you shouldn't have been driving.

You need not worry about suspended licenses and such, because you didn't have one.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your quick reply and knowledgeable answers. I am still curious, when I go in to clear this up, will I still be put in front of a judge or even get a chance to talk to the ADA in charge of the case?
I looked a little more into the zoning lines of the cities, and they changed from his city to mine before I was pulled over. So to be clear, when I made the improper lane change and he lit me up we were in fact out of his jurisdiction.
Does this change anything or do I just need to deal with it like explained above.

It does not change anything. That police officer has authority through the entire state. You won't get anywhere with the jurisdiction argument.

I get what your saying about simply wanting to move the vehicle from point A to B for reasons that were valid. Unfortunately others such as the fuzz don't quite see it that way. By me, they would have sent me on my way after my explaining the situation but of course...there is always that one so you really never know. I know back in the day if you will there were jurisdictional laws depending on where you live but like everything once someone does it better...it changes, hence the need for attorneys to keep up with stuff like this. I know it doesn't help your cause, but anymore if you sneeze while driving it's an infraction on something...err to the side of caution <or just don't get caught!> either way on this one...you got caught...accept the spanking and move on...sigh!

McsTX said:
Thank you so much for your quick reply and knowledgeable answers. I am still curious, when I go in to clear this up, will I still be put in front of a judge or even get a chance to talk to the ADA in charge of the case?
I looked a little more into the zoning lines of the cities, and they changed from his city to mine before I was pulled over. So to be clear, when I made the improper lane change and he lit me up we were in fact out of his jurisdiction.
Does this change anything or do I just need to deal with it like explained above.

The easiest thing for you to do is request deferred disposition. After 90 days, if you get no more citations, this one is dismissed. Inquire of the court clerk to see if you're eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back