Judged messed up child support...does hubby have to backpay???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrissyCK

We went to provisionals without a lawyer. We did not submit paycheck stubs. They used my husband's income for 15 thousand less than he actually makes, AND the judge only put down ONE child; not two!

So when I go to our final hearing (this time I'll be getting a lawyer if I can afford to do so), can I request that he pay the difference if it would have been done right (correct income, correct number of children)?

I think it's ridiculous!

You think it is ridiculous? I don't mean to be a smart alack, but the judge didn't "mess up" your child support. Forgive me but you did. You didn't use a lawyer, and you did not submit the proper paperwork. "We did not submit paycheck stubs...." It is still possible that you will get the "back child support" ordered in your case.

Please get a lawyer. People would never try to take out their own appendix, but when it comes to law they feel the just can't "afford" one so they go it alone. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but going into court without an attorney is like a pee wee football team playing and NFL team without pads. Its never going to turn out good.

PS: my signature line is not a jab at you, it is the one I use all the time, but it really applies here. I'm sorry for your position.

Last edited:
I would call your case worker (child support) and ask them!. There not all unreasonable or to busy and refuse to give information with out having a attorney. these case workers do understand the the majority of people can't afford to retain a att. much less justify there fees.

My girlfriend had called and got her case rescheduled for adjustments for free. the case worker told her that there had to be a certain time frame for it to be re-opened, and with few phone calls and appointments, she was back in court. had the original set amount changed to a % of income instead. she's so happy with the extra $ and to have no att. fee's.

It may seem that every thing with courts now days you need a att., not so. you have certain rights no one can deny. I myself had my child support lowered several years back just by talking to my case worker, saved me a modest $55 a week, No att. fees again, If the odds are in your favor, do your homework and do it.

pick up the phone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back