Judge says hire attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

kholdeman

I went to court recently on a misdemeanor Theft by Check case. The judge asked all present without an attorney to stand before him. When he got to me, he looked at my file and asked if I wanted time to hire an attorney. I asked if I could just speak with the DA to see if I could find out the info on my case. He told me that because I had some theft by check charges in the past I was looking at definite jail time and needed to hire an attorney. He also stated that "I could let you talk to the DA but, I would have to fill out all kinds of paperwork and you really just need an attorney." Since he had me terrified by then I requested time to hire an attoreny.
Problem 1.. I don't have the money for an attorney. The least expensive one I talked to is $1500.00.
Problem 2..The judge is speaking of 2 charges that were in the early 90's...why would I go to jail? None of the checks were ever over $100

How can I apply for a court appointed attorney? I have court in County Criminal Court 13 in Harris County, TX

You need to talk to the public defender. They will usually work out some sort of payment plan, and will even waive the fee if you really cannot afford one.

On one hand it sounds like a fairly lazy judge, but on the other hand, he may be having you read between the lines, and that is if you don't come up with some sort of plea deal, you will be spending time behind bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back