Judge adjudicated my case. Verdict is now 50+ past due. Please advise

neilage

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Georgia, Dekalb County.

I had a bench trial on 1/4/16 to defend myself against the charge of "Failure to Yield".
The judge decided at the end of the testimonies that the case would be "adjudicated" and I was told that the court would send me the final written ruling via postal mail within 30 days.

After 45+ days, I had not yet received anything in the mail regarding the judge's final verdict. I e-mailed the court on 2/23/16.
On 2/29/16, the court's general information office replied stating, "This information has been sent to a representative in Court Services. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Once an answer has been received, the response will be forwarded to you."

As of 3/11/16, I still had not heard from a representative of court services, so I sent another e-mail inquiry. "I still have not heard from a representative of court services. Could you please provide me with a contact name?"
On 3/15/16, the court's general information office replied stating, "Your inquiry has been forwarded to the Staff Attorney. The transcript is in the process of being reviewed by the Judge. Once this is completed, a final ruling will be mailed to all parties involved."

MY QUESTION IS: Do I have any recourse whatsoever to have this thrown out altogether since the judge was supposed to render a verdict by 2/4/16, and it has now been 50+ days since the verdict was to be rendered by the judge?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Do I have any recourse whatsoever to have this thrown out altogether since the judge was supposed to render a verdict by 2/4/16, and it has now been 50+ days since the verdict was to be rendered by the judge?

No.

No recourse.

You'll just have to keep waiting.

Georgia, Dekalb County.

I had a bench trial on 1/4/16 to defend myself against the charge of "Failure to Yield".
The judge decided at the end of the testimonies that the case would be "adjudicated" and I was told that the court would send me the final written ruling via postal mail within 30 days.

After 45+ days, I had not yet received anything in the mail regarding the judge's final verdict. I e-mailed the court on 2/23/16.
On 2/29/16, the court's general information office replied stating, "This information has been sent to a representative in Court Services. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Once an answer has been received, the response will be forwarded to you."

As of 3/11/16, I still had not heard from a representative of court services, so I sent another e-mail inquiry. "I still have not heard from a representative of court services. Could you please provide me with a contact name?"
On 3/15/16, the court's general information office replied stating, "Your inquiry has been forwarded to the Staff Attorney. The transcript is in the process of being reviewed by the Judge. Once this is completed, a final ruling will be mailed to all parties involved."

MY QUESTION IS: Do I have any recourse whatsoever to have this thrown out altogether since the judge was supposed to render a verdict by 2/4/16, and it has now been 50+ days since the verdict was to be rendered by the judge?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you do have recourse.
You can attempt to file for appellate relief.
I don't recommend that, but it is a legal remedy available to all.

Court of Appeals of Georgia

Court of Appeals of Georgia

Now, for the BAD NEWS!

You take leave to file such an appeal within 10 days AFTER the trial court's verdict was made.

To date, you have no such verdict.

Absent a verdict, you can't take leave to appeal that which as yet to occur.

Maybe the judge has a full docket and is taking longer than expected in rendering a verdict. That's not against the law and there is NO guarantee that a verdict will be reached in any particular amount of time.

Back