Joint Legal Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDLAJ

Can someone please give me an understanding of what this really means?

At present my son's father and I joint-legal custody. He has primary physical custody and I have partial-physical custody. Can his make decision regarding schooling, counseling, doctors, etc. without my input or say?

Thank you!

If you have joint custody then Dad should not be able to make those decisions without you.

Do you have a lawyer? If so, you should speak to him/her about your concerns. If not, you should get one, especially since your hearing isn't until December.

Actually his father's lawyer has filed for an Expediate Hearing, which is scheduled for Aug. 22nd.

My next question:

Should I meet with this counselor and do not think that he/she is good for my son, can I insist that the counselor discontinue any and all sessions, especially if I provide them with the court order stating that I have Joint-Legal Custody. Would the counselor be legally obligate to stop all sessions?

No, joint legal does not mean the counsellor has to take a direct order from you. You'll have to take this up in court.

But doesn't the counselor have to have both Parents Consent, especially if there is a Court Order that states we have Joint Legal Custody. Should this counselor do more damage than good - that could be a problem (and a law suite) especially if the Counselor did not get consent from BOTH parents and was made aware of the Joint Legal Custody Order. I do know that in private schools if a Joint Legal Custody is in effective then that school will not accept a child until BOTH the parents sign papers and concent forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back