joint bank account deceased mother's, but sister claims it's hers

Status
Not open for further replies.

violinmom40

Before my mother died she had me and my four sisters each open up a savings accounts to put most of her money into. Although our names were on the accounts it was mother's money. Each account was a joint account and had two sisters names on it, as well as my mother's name on it (so there were three of our names on each account) . My mother kept her name on each account and having our names also on the account would allow us to pay her medical bills as needed. My mother died last year and two of my sisters are now trying to claim the money in these accounts is their money and not my mother's. These two accounts listed both their names and mother's name on it. One of them is the executor, by the way, and these accounts have not been listed in the inventory of mother's assets. Is there anything we can do? The money in these accounts was mother's and should have been added to the value of the estate, but these two sisters are wanting to keep the money as their own. The amount of the two accounts together is around $300,000.00, so as you can imagine we three remaining sisters would like to see justice done and the money rightfully distributed equally amoung the five of us. Mother's will did not include an itemized list of her assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back