Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Job seeker with a theft misdemeanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second_Chance

My jurisdiction is: Illinois

In December of 2007, I was terminated from my job and arrested for theft. After receiving permission from my Manager, I helped myself to items that were located in an abandoned trail that was on company property. It had been there for some seven years. In spite of justifying my actions, my poor judgment has resulted in a theft misdemeanor.

Days before pleading guilty and being convicted, I was offered a position and was hired. Since I had been hired after the conviction, I thought I had avoided the issue of my record. All I had to do was last four years there and I could get my record sealed. I made it eight years at my previous two employers, so I thought, not a problem. Unfortunately, this past Friday, I was just laid off. I now must face another job search. This time in a terrible market and with a misdemeanor.

What am I up against? Is there any chance of me landing another Supervisory role anytime soon? Can I expect to have to tread water, with anything I can get, until I am able to seal the record in another three years? Do I help myself by moving to another state? Are companies performing statewide or nationwide background checks?

In short, I need some sound advice. I've searched the web and have read both ends of the spectrum. A misdemeanor is no big deal to I'll take this 800 lb. gorilla to my grave. What can I expect and what is the best way to get through this?

Second Chance

The best chance is to be honest. Many employers will forgive a single mistake. Few if any will forgive being lied to, and it is much easier to catch the lie than you might think.

You don't need to volunteer any information. If they don't ask any question where a truthful and literal response would require that you reveal the conviction, you don't need to tell them. But if they ask any questions where a truthful and literal response would reveal it, then you are far better off being honest. What bothers employers is being blindsided. If you're honest about what happens and let them know that you've learned from the experience, many will be willing to give you a chance. Particularly if your references back you up.

I agree with cbg, post 9/11 everyone is going to get a standard background check at minimum, many often will get more, as well as a credit check.

If you did a great job with your previous employers and interview well, you have a shot. I would actually recommend you mention your record during your first interview, even if it isn't on the application. There are likely some jobs that won't hire you because of your record, and no need for you to be jerked around/wait/ etc. if you don't have to.

GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back