Job Offer withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cargal

Hello. After being terminated from my previous employer I was offered a position at a bank. I went through 3 different interviews and the initial screening I'm assuming recruiters do. A few days after the offer was made I got a call from Employee relations saying my credit check came back and based on the report i was ineligible for the position. The representative said that his job was to take my case to a panel of attorneys and convince them (with proof, of course) that I deserved the job. After sending quite a bit of documentation to be used as proof, including 7 years worth of income taxes, proof of my immigration status and unemployment benefits among other things I got a call from the representative. He called to tell me that when he presented my case the panel was a little "curious" as to why I mentioned in my application that I left my previous employer for "career growth" when I was in fact terminated. I stated that if so, it had to be a careless and horrible mistake on my end, but that I had been very honest with every one involved in the interviewing process about my termination. He didn't ask any further questions. Two days later he called back with a decision, they were withdrawing the offer based on a false accusation of falsifying documentation. This week I sent an email presenting my defense in an effort to clear my reputation and avoid any future repercussions with the company- not in the interest of getting the offer back. I requested copies of the applications (3 different ones in a matter of 3months) and today i received screen shots. One shows I answered "yes" to being terminated from an employer and the second one shows where I typed "career growth" as the reason to leaving my previous employer. In my eyes, it's an honest mistake. It doesn't even make sense for me to say "yes, I was terminated for career growth". What employer fires you so you can better your career? The Employee Relations lead called me today to tell me that they have nothing else to provide me with and that the case is closed.
Is there anything I can do to have them remove the accusation and leave the door open for future interest in the company? I truly believe they had other motives. This is really frustrating because I did not intentionally lied... Sorry for the long question, it's a long story.

Sorry, nothing you can do. They simply changed their minds. What if your Aunt Claudia died and left you her fortune of $200,000,000?
You could have said you changed your mind, too. The offer letter wasn't and isn't a contract of employment. Good luck in your job search.

Agree with army judge. They didn't have to offer you a job & they could withdraw an offer made. It's just like you didn't have to accept the job or you could change your mind about taking it.

Sorry.

Agree completely with the other answers but I'm curious. What "other motives" do you think they had?

Other motives

Agree completely with the other answers but I'm curious. What "other motives" do you think they had?

I think once they saw my credit history their mind was already made up to withdraw the offer.

I know they can withdraw the offer, but what about the accusation of falsifying the application? Can I do more than just send them a letter or email?

Thanks for the responses!

You DID falsify the application. You have no legal grounds to do anything.

You can, of course, send a letter or email and they are completely free to ignore them.

Even if it was an "honest mistake" that is an awfully big one and it does speak to your attention to detail. If you aren't careful about your application when applying for a job, what else might you miss? When your job is working with other people's money, attention to detail is key. Sure, humans make mistakes but they know very little about you and what little they do know includes you making a rather large one which is also questionable at best (reason for termination is deliberately altered on more applications than you can shake a stick at). Add in your questionable credit and it adds up to a risk they would rather not take. My experience with credit checks as part of employment is very limited but there are very limited excuses for questionable credit we would accept and then only with proof. For example, if you had been the victim of identity theft or other crime, there is a mistaken identity or some other extraordinary circumstance. The explanation phase tends to be more of a "why should we change our mind and overlook this" than "give us any old explanation so we can hire you". Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back