Criminal Law J-1 visa holder charged for Alcohol Consumption (not driving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PleaseHelp

Hi!

I think this is an excellent resource... Thanks in advance to everyone if you can help me out.

I am a Mexican Citizen and a J-1 visa holder since Nov, 2003. My J-1 visa will expire on February 24th, 2005.

On New Year's Eve, 2004, I was arrested for "excessive drinking" on the Chicago "jail" for about 10 hours.
They released me and gave me a paper saying that I needed to attend to court on Feb 23rd to a Chicago address. The amount for my bail was $1,000.
I live at an Indiana town that is a 2.5 hours drive from Chicago.I don't live in Chicago and the people at the jail did not seem to care.

My questions are:

1. Should I contact a lawyer before going to the hearing? I don't know what to plead.. guilty or not, etc... I was drunk.. yes... but what is the recommended action? ( I have a black-out of why I was in prison...) / Should I contact an Indiana lawyer? or a Chicago laywer?
2. Is there a way that if I have a good trial, my record can be "erased" or at least "removed" from the various databases? I would like to come back to the States as a tourist in the future and don't know what to respond when filling my tourist visa application when they ask if I had been arrested or convicted for a crime? This is the first time EVER I've had a problem like this.
3. If I get a fair trial... do I still have to pay the $1,000? Or can that amount be changed according to my conduct, etc?

Thanks a lot! and Happy New Year...

Excessive drinking? Under what law have you been charged?

I assume it is a charge for disorderly conduct under 720 ILCS 5/26-1 which is a misdemeanor, but not considered to be a crime of moral turpitude.

If this is your only conviction on the record it usually does not influence your immigration status. But you cannot afford a second conviction for anything, because that might make you inadmissible to the United States.

About the other questions, since I am not an expert in Illinois law I cannot answer them, you might want to consult an attorney who is admitted to the Illinois bar (that should be all attorneys in Chicago, but you might find quite a few in Indiana who would be allowed to practice in Illinois, too, and thus be able to represent you there. But you should ask them first if they are.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back