Issues with Ex wifes Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen197954965

First of all thank you for reading my post. Here I go...
My wife and I were divorced in Dec of 2007. We did our divorce ourselves because we didn't have the money to get a laywer. At the time we could get along enough to agree on everything to just get the divorce over with. In our divorce we split everthing 50/50. Here is where the problem started. We had an open line of credit that we had at a local bank held jointly. She was the responsible party for paying the debt. The open line of credit was for $9500. At the time of the divorce the balance was $8500 so I tried to help her out and I paid $1300 off the debt to reduce the monthly payment for her. Shortly after we became divorced my ex wife basically lost her mind. She stopped paying for things, she blew her money away and had to move back in with her parents. She was paying the loan payments on that open line of credit late but not 30 days late so it wouldn't affect her credit. I assumed that she had gotten her life kind of straighten out now that she was living rent free. This is were I was very wrong. One day I went for a loan and was completely denied and found out the loan was still on my credit report. The loan was now back up the $9500 max amount. I went to the bank and talked to the loan officer. She stated they could not take me off the account even though the divorce paper stated it was her responsiblity. My ex decided that she needed some cash and maxed the account out. She told me that the account was closed after our divorce so I never thought twice about it. I confronted her about the loan and she refused to discuss it with me. So I went back to the bank and closed the open line of credit so she couldn't max it out anymore. Here's where it gets difficult. She got fired from her job and she up and got married to some random guy. This random guy had no job and no has cancer. Neither of them work or have medical insurance and I'm assuming the medical bills are stacking up. I would like to get the loan taken care of because she did not hold up her end. She knowingly never closed the account and decided to take money out of it after she knew it was suppost to be closed. I would like to know if its possible to take her to court to have some kind of injunction to make her responsible for the debt. She has completely ruined her life in the last 2 years and I would like to just make sure I am protected from being dragged down with her. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back