Issues Finding Pro Bono Service When Not Located in County of Case

DesperateDad78

Jurisdiction
Florida
Long story short, I am trying to get legal assistance (or at least an affordable referral to an attorney/firm), but keep hitting a brick wall. I don't live in the county the case is in. As such, I have gotten bounced around to a few different Florida Bars for different counties.

My county's Florida Bar told me to contact the Florida Bar the case is located in. That county's Bar told me that I need to contact my county's Bar to get a referral first. Then, my bar is trying to charge me just to get a referral for the case. Meanwhile, I am left wondering why would I pay them to refer me to someone when I can simply browse online, Avvo, and other resources to try and find someone myself?

Every pro bono resource I have contacted has given me the run-around. Each one redirects me to another one, and I end up going in circles.

Can someone please explain to me whether or not it is even worth paying the Florida Bar to refer me to someone, or would it be the same as calling around myself? And how does a referral to a pro bono firm like that work? I am at a loss, as in order to even have a chance at getting legal assistance, I am having to pay just to get a referral?

If I have to pay, then I want to at least make sure I am paying through a resource that will do something for me that I can't. Any advice on the best way to handle this (who to contact, what to ask for, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

There is no such thing as a pro-bono firm. EVERY firm has to charge for its services or they wouldn't be able to stay in business. There are firms that will take the occasional case on a pro bono basis but you have to make the case to them that your case is worth taking.

The only one who can decide whether it is worth it to pay for a referral is you. That's not our call to make.

This board does not make referrals beyond what we have already provided (state bar, legal aid, law schools).

Long story short, I am trying to get legal assistance (or at least an affordable referral to an attorney/firm), but keep hitting a brick wall. I don't live in the county the case is in. As such, I have gotten bounced around to a few different Florida Bars for different counties.

My county's Florida Bar told me to contact the Florida Bar the case is located in. That county's Bar told me that I need to contact my county's Bar to get a referral first. Then, my bar is trying to charge me just to get a referral for the case. Meanwhile, I am left wondering why would I pay them to refer me to someone when I can simply browse online, Avvo, and other resources to try and find someone myself?

Every pro bono resource I have contacted has given me the run-around. Each one redirects me to another one, and I end up going in circles.

Can someone please explain to me whether or not it is even worth paying the Florida Bar to refer me to someone, or would it be the same as calling around myself? And how does a referral to a pro bono firm like that work? I am at a loss, as in order to even have a chance at getting legal assistance, I am having to pay just to get a referral?

If I have to pay, then I want to at least make sure I am paying through a resource that will do something for me that I can't. Any advice on the best way to handle this (who to contact, what to ask for, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
You don't pay the bar...you pay the attorney they refer you to (a reduced consult fee) . I think you misunderstood how it works...try calling and asking about it.

Back