Is this retaliation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurvis

In December I signed on to a class-action lawsuit that was brought against my employer at the time which concerned unpaid wages and royalties.

In January I was demoted from a salaried employee to an hourly one. My pay scale was also cut from approximately 20.04 per hour to 16.92 per hour.

This week, immediately after the latest project was finished, I was fired. When I was fired I was told three different things; 1. there was no room for the number of employees that were currently in the department, 2. I made many mistakes (I had never been reprimanded for mistakes and had in fact received praise for my consistency, lack of mistakes and ability to fix the few I did make), 3. I was not happy. For what I think are obvious reasons I was not happy at being downmoded to an hourly wage, but I had thought that would be changed when the project was finished.

I have two questions;

1. Is there a possiblilty that this is retaliation for me signing the class-action suit?

2. Within the form that I am supposed to sign as part of my termination it is stated that I will not sue or be a part of any suit against the company. I don't feel comfortable with that.I was told at the meeting in which I was fired that the form is a generic legal document and cannot be changed. Is there something I can do to have that part of the form removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back