Is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorminNorman

I work as a cashier at a small grocery store in Arkansas. I make the minimum wage of $7.25. One night my cash drawer was $140.00 short and after reviewing the tape of me using the register that day my employer has established that I did not short the drawer. That night as I was getting off I set my drawer in the back office where we are always told to put them and left. I set it on the desk on top of another drawer that was already there from a cashier who was getting off at the same time as me. We had 2 sackers working that night and they were accused of stealing the money when they came into the office to change the trash. They were told they would have to take a lie detector test to see if they stole it and upon hearing that one of them quit. My employer is now wanting to hold the money out of my check. I have worked there for a little over a year and have never been short and haven't ever had anything held out of my check for it. So can my employer legally do this?

Leaving cash unsecured on a desktop is asking for trouble. It's likely to get his insurance policy cancelled, assuming he has one.

Here's your answer, OP, direct from your state's wage & labor agency:

Examples of Deductions that are not allowed: An employer cannot deduct below minimum wage for such things as spoilage or breakage, cash or inventory shortages or losses, fines or penalties for lateness, misconduct, or quitting without notice.

Their website:

http://www.labor.ar.gov/divisions/Pages/minWageOvertime.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back