Is this legal? - noncompete agreement for independent contractors

noam

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Hi
so my boss make all his contractors sign a non compete and a independent contractor agreement, and refuses to give us copies of the contracts.
Is it legal to have an independent contractor sign a none compete? and is it legal to refuse to give us a copy?

thank you

Is it legal to have an independent contractor sign a none compete?

Yes.

What would be illegal is misclassifying an employee as an independent contractor. Would need more information to determine that.

and is it legal to refuse to give us a copy?

Nothing illegal about that either. Though why anybody would let anybody get away with that is beyond me when it's so easy to avoid that by either refusing to sign it without a duplicate or when it is handed to you, pick it up, take it outside, read it, take out your little camera phone (if you don't have one get one, everybody has them and they cost very little) and take pictures of the signed contract. Easy Peasy, Simple Pimple.

Thank you for your reply. thanks for the advice i have a copy and i am having lawyers looking over them.. looking for angles as a defense because i was threatened.

What would be illegal is misclassifying an employee as an independent contractor. Would need more information to determine that.

What would determine employee vs independent contractor. he hires his office workers on same terms as independent contractors, would that count?

It is bizarre to refuse to give you a copy of the non-compete agreement. If you can't remember the terms and sign with another company who the employer believes is within the terms of the agreement, then whose fault is that?

Hi
so my boss make all his contractors sign a non compete and a independent contractor agreement, and refuses to give us copies of the contracts.
Is it legal to have an independent contractor sign a none compete? and is it legal to refuse to give us a copy?

thank you

Easy solution mate, take a picture using your smartphone of every page of the documents you're being asked to sign.

That way you'll have a record of whatever it is you signed, if you choose to sign anything.

Back