Is this job discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutiePie12

My boss is having a weight loss competition in our office and whoever loses the most weight in three months gets a large bonus. My boss told me I could not participate because I am not overweight.

If you are in the state of Michigan (where weight is a protected characteristic) you MIGHT be able to twist this into an illegal discrimination case, though I wouldn't hold my breath. It's even less likely that you could claim illegal discrimination if you are in the District of Columbia (where personal appearance is a protected characteristic). If you are in any other state, this is not going to be illegal no matter how you slice it. Unfair possibly, but perfectly legal nonetheless.

CutiePie12 said:
My boss is having a weight loss competition in our office and whoever loses the most weight in three months gets a large bonus. My boss told me I could not participate because I am not overweight.

That's one I have never heard about -- what kind of work do you do and how and why would it relate, if at all, to weight loss? Why would one get a "bonus" for weight loss?

Sounds like it could be part of a wellness program the employer is instituting. Regardless, having a weight loss challenge at work with a bonus payable to the winner (or biggest loser) is not illegal.

Beth3 said:
Sounds like it could be part of a wellness program the employer is instituting. Regardless, having a weight loss challenge at work with a bonus payable to the winner (or biggest loser) is not illegal.

A wellness program should be fine. I was wondering whether there were other motivations at play here. The word "bonus" might make me wonder as to the context of the program but is more likely just a colloquiallism. It's sometimes difficult to tell what is going on when there are limited facts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back