Is this ethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheknurpulse

Our children were removed from out home by CPS. We hired our own lawyer, and we explained to him from the beginning that all we could afford right now was the $1000 retainer fee. It has dragged on for the past three months. And our lawyer told us he would stick with us. We are now waiting for a decision from the judge. We called our lawyer this morning and his secretary said he was not going to file the judgement until he got most of his fee that is outstanding. My question is, is this ethical? Especially since he told us he would stick with us?

Our children were removed from out home by CPS. We hired our own lawyer, and we explained to him from the beginning that all we could afford right now was the $1000 retainer fee. It has dragged on for the past three months. And our lawyer told us he would stick with us. We are now waiting for a decision from the judge. We called our lawyer this morning and his secretary said he was not going to file the judgement until he got most of his fee that is outstanding. My question is, is this ethical? Especially since he told us he would stick with us?

Don't rely on information from third parties.

She may just be spouting the line she was told to say.

Go visit your lawyer and speak with him/her personally about payment and judgment.

Try to pay him something and reach a compromise.

You don't want another legal battle.

That won't get your children back in your arms.

I have dealt with a lawyer like that in the past and it was really really frustrating when he reneges on his words. Good thing I had friends who were in the editorial staff of a local newspaper and they gave him a call. Dunno what they said but he suddenly remembered our previous agreement. I think that is one fallback of a verbal arrangement rather than to have it on writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back