Is this considered discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1dlvzz

I apply for an internal position in my work area. The supervisor mention that anyone can apply for the position in the announcement through the email I recieved. I asked my supervisor if I can apply and she encourage me to and which I did. I reply back to that supervisor and copy my supervisor that I am interested and submitted my resume and expressed my interest. 2 days later I Irecieved an invite for the interview which I accept the invite and then 4 hours later they cancelled the interview saying they're sorry explained that it was meant only to the current CSR's and that it was a lateral move. I felt that it was unfair especailly when they stated in the email that anyone can apply. I consult with my supervisor and she mention that since she not in work and is not sure if I have an invite yet or not and advise for me to speak with the supervisor or the manager of the department and maybe they can explain the reason why. I thought I ask her and maybe my supervisor can help me out but apparently to me it seem like she didn't know what to say or do besides directing me to go and talk to the other supervisor or manager. I felt uncomfortable and felt that they were playing around with my emotions and felt a bit discriminated being limited to open opportunities. I understand that they should of communicate this more clearly but they didn't. The superviosr is pretty new to his job and so is my supervisor but what can be done? Is this fair or is this considered discriminating? If so what should i do and should there be anything done?

It may or may not have been unfair, but your current position (whatever it is) is not a legally protected characteristic. So if they will only consider employees currently in X position, they can legally do that. Maybe your new supervisor just didn't know any better. It may also be discrimination, but it isn't illegal discrimination

Questions..

So is both the supervisor part on not communicating clearly because it seems like they have never encountered this before? What do you men by it could be discrimination but not illegal? What is legal and illegal? Was this possible discrimination case legal then? I see that you reply here a lot, are you an attorney or?

The great majority of discrimination is legal and this is one of those cases. For example, the employer could fire you because you wear green socks. That is discrimination. However, since wearing green socks is not a protected characteristic under the law, it would not be illegal discrimination. Google "illegal discrimination in the workplace" or something similar.

No, I am not an attorney. Just an professional in this line of work, including compliance, with decades of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back