Is this Considered Cyber Bullying or Cyber Harrasment?

Jack Dodson

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
I was in a group chat with some friends where we would make jokes about someone I knew who was an asshole and his family. Some of the jokes were about his recently passed father. I know not the highest brow humor but that's besides the point

Anyways, we were going off on him and making a ton of jokes and stuff last night. When someone in the group adds all of his family to the group. The admin of the group removed everyone almost immediately and someone screenshotted all of the things we said and sent them to the guys wife. His wife claimed to have called the police and I was wondering if it would be considered cyber bullying or harassment if this happened once. This happened between NH And Massachusetts

I was in a group chat with some friends where we would make jokes about someone I knew who was an asshole and his family. Some of the jokes were about his recently passed father. I know not the highest brow humor but that's besides the point

Anyways, we were going off on him and making a ton of jokes and stuff last night. When someone in the group adds all of his family to the group. The admin of the group removed everyone almost immediately and someone screenshotted all of the things we said and sent them to the guys wife. His wife claimed to have called the police and I was wondering if it would be considered cyber bullying or harassment if this happened once. This happened between NH And Massachusetts
How old are you? Are you a minor?

I was wondering if it would be considered cyber bullying or harassment

Considered by whom? Lots of folks are hypersensitive these days.

If you're asking whether what you described is a crime, the answer is that it isn't (and criminalizing what you described would violate the First Amendment). Nor would it give rise to any sort of civil claim.

The person who I called an asshole dated my mom and cheated on her. The people I added was him, his deceased father's facebook, his deceased father's wife, His nephew, and his daughter.
Yes, some of the members in the group were over 18 however. Everyone added to the group was over 18 as well.
I asked if you were a minor...that means UNDER 18.

Stay out of your mom's love life. It's really nasty to make jokes about the death of someone's Husband/Father. The deceased wife and daughter didn't cause your mother harm...bring them into your petty games at such a difficult time is a revolting thing to do.

I asked if you were a minor...that means UNDER 18.

Stay out of your mom's love life. It's really nasty to make jokes about the death of someone's Husband/Father. The deceased wife and daughter didn't cause your mother harm...bring them into your petty games at such a difficult time is a revolting thing to do.
I am under 18, but most of the other members in the group are over 18

Considered by whom? Lots of folks are hypersensitive these days.

If you're asking whether what you described is a crime, the answer is that it isn't (and criminalizing what you described would violate the First Amendment). Nor would it give rise to any sort of civil claim.
Okay, Thank you for your help on this

What you describe does not amount to a crime and it is unlikely police will give it much thought. It's a non issue... At least from a criminal standpoint.

I was wondering if it would be considered cyber bullying or harassment if this happened once.

Hmmm, if I were you, I'd simply refuse to be interviewed about this.

All that can eventually be proven is that some "bits and bytes" were coming from a computer connected to a network.

Sure, it might be proven that it was your computer, your pappy's computer, your dog's computer, or even a stolen computer connected to a network purportedly located in your mansion.

Proving who typed the words will be the challenge, unless you do then, what you did above; and COP to the CAPER.

I advise everyone NOT to break THEIR laws.

If YOU break THEIR laws you must, you better keep yer yapper shut!

As a minor, if the police wish to question you, your best defense is to say, "I wants me mammy." "I want my father." "I want my mommy and my poppy."

Whichever phrase you choose, keep yer yapper shut.

Unlike adults, minors have no right to a lawyer, just a right to mammy, pappy, or their adult guardian.

Then, pappy, mammy, grandma, or the adult guardian will request a lawyer to save your little hiney.

"The person who I called an asshole dated my mom and cheated on her. The people I added was him, his deceased father's facebook, his deceased father's wife, His nephew, and his daughter."

Probably not wise to admit you were the one who added them..... Probably wise to stop speaking about the matter totally without your parents and/or an attorney involved. Probably wise to stop putting your actions on the internet, even on legal information sites, especially if your name is really Jack Dodson.

Learn from this...the internet can also be a "small world" and discoverable...

Back