Is this child neglect, abandonment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torzy123

A mother and her 9 yr old child lives with the mother's parents. The mother sneeks out in the midde of the night and takes off for 3 days. ( She is home now.)
There was no contact ( that I know of ) to her parents or her child.
Is this child neglect / abandonment?

Last edited:
A mother and her 9 yr old child lives with the mother's parents. The mother sneeks out in the midde of the night and takes off for 3 days. ( She is home now.)

Well, as long as she's back, there isn't much that can be done.

But, the next time this alley cat sneaks out on her three day crack and sex binge, contact the police.

They'll come and investigate.

The grandparents MIGHT be allowed to keep the child.

However, the child could be taken and end up in the foster care system.

Of course, the alley cat will eventually be prosecuted.

Under most county laws, what she is doing isn't neglect. For example, if a crack user dropped her child off with someone who would provide care for the child, and then goes out and gets their fix...that isn't neglect in most cases because she found someone to supervise the child while she was away. Also, in many counties, there is no set age as to when a child can be left home alone, let alone with a supervising grandparent over a day or 3. Generally, counties go upon maturity of the child which can be very subjective. In general though, the cut off age for a child to be left alone without ANY ONE to watch them....is 9. It is always best to make a report if you think neglect is going on but I highly doubt any CPS will take this particular referral without other major stuff going on.

Also what army judge said about the police. The police will get CPS involved if need be. That is very good advice in this situation as well.

No, not at all.
Unless there is information that indicates that the child is not safe with the grandparents then there is no wrongdoing here.

I disagree with the above- do not bother calling police or social workers unless the child is being abused or the grandparents are unable to care for the nine year old.... and many nine year olds are able to care for themselves in many ways. They don't necessarily need 24 hour supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back