Is there such a thing as self termination?

Vincent

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello,

I work in Cook County if that makes a difference at all for this post.

I work at a hospital in the records department for over 10 years now.

I am an hourly employee, working full time the entire time I have been at the job.

Last week my entire department had to attend a mandatory meeting with the HR Manager to let us know that all of our job positions in the department will no longer exsit in 60 days.

They told us at the same meeting a third party company they hired is taking over full responsibility for the department we are all in, and the jobs we do of course.

So far the only choices given by the HR Manger is to apply for the company that is taking over the current job we have, and hope they accept us.

The other option is apply within the hospital for any other position.

Of course if I don't have a certain degree or license I cant do a major of jobs they list.

My question is what do you believe my work status will be at the 60 day mark if I dont get hired for either the 3rd party company that is taking my job or If I dont get hired for one of the other internal jobs in the hospital?

Am I obligated to take another position is the hospital if I dont believe I can do that job, or the pay is not close to what I get paid, now, its only part-time, or any other reason?

The HR manager has told us verbally not written out anywhere that if we dont take an internal job and our still at the hospital, then we will self terminate ourselves.

I have never heard of that, that is why I ask.

Since I have worked full time for the last 10 years with this same company and I dont quit or resign will I still be able to receive unemployment benefits due to my job and the rest of the departments jobs being taken over by another company.

Any information is useful.

Thank you in advance!

My question is what do you believe my work status will be at the 60 day mark if I dont get hired for either the 3rd party company that is taking my job or If I dont get hired for one of the other internal jobs in the hospital?

You'll be shown the door and you will be unemployed. Immediately apply for unemployment compensation. Don't wait.

Am I obligated to take another position is the hospital if I dont believe I can do that job, or the pay is not close to what I get paid, now, its only part-time, or any other reason?

Unfortunately, refusal of "suitable work" will make you ineligible for unemployment compensation. If you get denied UC it's a PITA to go through the appeals process while no money is coming in. Play the game. Take what you can get, polish up the resume, and look for another job. Or start looking now, before you end up on the job market flooded with your co-workers.

The HR manager has told us verbally not written out anywhere that if we dont take an internal job and our still at the hospital, then we will self terminate ourselves

CorpSpeak (George Orwell would be proud). It's just another way of saying you refused suitable work (quit) so you'll be denied UC.

Since I have worked full time for the last 10 years with this same company and I dont quit or resign will I still be able to receive unemployment benefits due to my job and the rest of the departments jobs being taken over by another company.

See all of the above comments.

You don't have to "quit" or "resign." Refusing the work does it for you.

Plus numerous resources on line about IL unemployment compensation eligibility.

illinois unemployment compensation at DuckDuckGo

Last edited:

I wish I had the ability to predict the future.

Alas, I am a mere mortal bereft of any "special" powers or abilities.

I wish you all the best as you seek that next, great job.

In this hot economy, you should be able to get at least three offers within the 60 day window you're forced to work within, if you start your search tomorrow.

Why do you think the contracting company won't hire you? Hospital systems do this all the time, as do many corporations - they hire a company to do a job, and the former employees are moved to a contracted position.

Back