Is there a Statute of Limitations for Connection for Personal Property Back Taxes Due

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved out of CT 9 years ago, and got a call out of nowhere from a collection agency. I contacted the City of Danbury directly and was routed to the Tax Assesor. Explained the situation and they said there's nothing they can do for prorating the bill. Either you pay in full or show prove the car was not in CT prior to Oct-1.

The "cutoff" date is Oct-1, and I moved out Oct-10. I have all the evidence (plane tickets, etc.), but they say it cannot be prorated. There's only an 18 month window for prorating after you move out. Beyond that the whole tax bill is due, along with penalties. $1000 for 10 days of "use" 10 years ago. I never did receive any notification in 10 years, even though the state had my forwarding address from my income taxes.

I called the Office of Policy Management and they confirmed the SOL is 15 years, and that this is handled at the city level. There's nothing the state can do. They suggested I hire a local attorney to correct this. This sounds like such a scam. What's fair is fair, and in this case it is not. I tried working with them, without success.

Has anyone successfully resolved this? I guess one option is to let the SOL run out?

Ignore the collection notices.
The fact is that the City has already charged off the so-called "debt".
The fact that a collection agency is contacting you is the indicator.
It is already off the books as an outstanding 'debt'.

Mr, Dodd

This will be somewhat of a repeat of what others have already said, but I just got a letter from American National Recovery too. Westport, CT is the town, and again an automobile property tax bill. Apparently the debt is from a 1994 auto tax bill that was due 7/1/95 for $129.92. Now, with penalties and interest it is $533.02. I have unblemished credit, and this really burns me. I'm not going to just shell out $533 when they never even made the effort to get a bill to me until over 14 years after I moved away! I know I had a forwarding address in place at that time, I sent my plates and new address back to the state in March of 95, I filed an income tax return for 94 and I never received any bill for this tax from Westport.

If not for the penalties and interest I might actually pay this today without putting up a fight, but it just seems unfair to spring this on people so far after the alleged debt was incurred that producing any records is very difficult. This appears to be legal, but also stupid. If they wanted to sick a collection agent on me they should have done it 14 years ago, not when the town just needs money.

I have two questions:

1 - Is it really true that you can not put this on my credit report after 7 years?
2 – Is there a fifteen year statue of limitations and if so when does it start? In my case I hope it is 7/1/95 or 14 years and 4 months ago for me.

CT taxes

I too recieved in the mail a collection notice from ANRG group. We moved from CT in 1995. The notice is for years 1995, 1996. My wifes married name appears, she was divorced in 1998, we married in1993. We registered the vehicle here in SC 1995. Something not right here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back