Is there a Statute of Limitations for Connection for Personal Property Back Taxes Due

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the checks are made out to the town itself, it would be very hard for the collection agency to steal this money. It is not a scam, please see my previous post.

They told me when they take a check by phone it is made out to American National Recovery Center and they won't send a receipt. I would feel much better just paying they town itself. This whole thing just feels wrong.

I left CT in 1993 because I became totally disabled and went back to live with my family. I left a forwarding address. Apparently the post office only keeps your forwarding address in its system for 6 to 8 months, so when they sent the bill a year in a half later it wasn't in the system and CT didn't bother trying to find me until now 13 years later when the interest penalties are at the maximum. Social Security disablity had my new address and so did my tax return. When I registered my car in NJ I was not alerted that anything was owed on the car. I don't think the state acted reasonably to try to locate me. I bet they wouldn't be able to take these cases to court and win.
I haven't read one post anywhere on the web where they have taken legal action against anyone, and that seems strange. Something is very wrong here and I think I am a total sucker for paying this.

not a scam

I think that what they are doing sucks and I am not happy about it at all. Having said that, as I said before, this is not a scam. This is the real deal. Please see the following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/n...People/S/Salzman, Avi&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I do not know if they will "come after you" if you don't pay, but one thing is for sure. What they are doing is well within the law of the state of Connecticut.

Sorry for the bad news.

CT vehicle taxes from 1992/93????

Has anyone had any outcomes from the credit agencies attempting to collect old CT vehicle taxes, years later???????

Today, I received my FIRST notice of any taxes owed, via a letter from American National Recovery Group, Inc., (George Dodd), about vehicle taxes from 1992 and 1993. I lived in Greenwich, CT from 9/92 to 5/1/93, never got any bills, there, and never got any bills forwarded to me after moving, despite a proper forwarding address. It's 2008!! Can they collect this without timely billing? What is the statute of limitations? Can a collection agency report such an old bill to a credit reporting organization? Help!!!!!!!!

Read the previous posts. They can TRY to collect the taxes, but the statute of limitations is 15 years( so if you can just ignore the letters until then you will probably be okay). I recently learned that they can't report debts older than 7 years to credit agencys. UNLESS you make a partial payment on it or something like that then the 7 years begins anew. So having made a partial payment on my 13 year old bill that I never knew about, I am now stuck having to pay it off. This has happened to thousands of people, and they haven't taken a single case to court. The Attorney Gen office has had sooooo many complants about this completly unfair practice of sending out bills 10 plus years old when interest and penalties are max... that they are "re-evaluating " this all... MY guess is that means you are safe if you ignore the letters. I think they are sending these letters out to see who will pay and whatever they collect they are happy with...

This is just plain wrong

The almost identical thing happened to me. I moved from New Milford to NC in June 1995, but didn't register my vehicles in NC until May 1996. Apparently in July 1996, New Milford sent out a tax bill from the period of Oct. 1995 to Sept. 1996. I never received it because the post office only forwards mail for 12 mos.

Then in Sept. 2007, I got a letter from American National Recovery Group saying I owed approx. $2100 in back taxes ($600 for the tax and $1500 in interest and penalties for the last 11 years). When you try to contact the town of New Milford, they say they have turned it over to the collection agency and when you talk to the collection agency, they simply say the law is the law and the town of New Milford does not have to notify me of any taxes due.

I talked to a lawyer and he said the statute of limitations had run out (6 yrs on suing for debt collection in CT and 7 yrs for reporting the debt to a credit agency). But the infamous George Dood says this doesn't apply to taxes and the statue of limitations is 15 yrs. He referred me to statute 12-164 and I read it, but got lost in the legalize. I am not sure if this statute supercedes all other laws on consumer protection or not.

I'll go back to my lawyer to update him on what George Dodd said and get his advice. And I have also sent e-mails to the mayor of New Milford on this scam and I also sent an email to the CT state attorney general giving him my view of the scam going on.

I am not ready to give in on this because it is simply wrong. Maybe this is New Milford's new revenue growth program, wait 10-15 years to maximize interest (21% per year) and penalties (15% per year). Then before the statute of limitations runs out (assuming the 15 yrs is right), go after former CT residents to collect on back taxes and the obscene interest and penalties tacked on.

I am also open to any suggestions.

Well, I guess I must add my name to this rather lengthy list. I recently received a letter from ANRG in which they stated their intention to collect property taxes for the Town of Greenwich for 2001. Since I moved out of state in 2000, having paid my taxes, I can say with a clear conscience that I will not pay this bill. While I don't believe this to be a scam, I do think CT townships have cast much too large a net, ensnaring too many dolphins with the tuna. Below is some information I have gleaned from various sources that I have found to be useful in formulating a strategy for dealing with this travesty. I hope it might prove useful to others who find themselves in this situation. Please feel free to rebut, correct, etc.

1. It seems nearly impossible to prove that one does NOT owe this tax (how does one prove a negative in any case?). If your name appears on the Grand List, you owe it, and that's that--unless you notified the tax collector of your move and mailed in your CT plates concurrent with registering in the new state (neither of which I did). Even the most straightforward documentation seems to be rejected out-of-hand.

2. Per jrburch, the unpaid tax can only appear on a credit report for 7 years. Please note that this does not affect the obligation to pay. I believe this can be extended if one enters into an agreement with the CA, but I'm not sure.

3. Mr. Dodd's assertion of a 15-year statute of limitations for CT property tax is, I believe, correct.

4. The wording of the letter I received leads me to believe that this is assigned debt, not owned debt ("please make check payable to our client"). In this case the CA cannot take any legal action. They must refer the case back to the township.

5. Contacting a CA by phone seems to be the worst course one can take.

Based on this information, I will send the CA a certified letter requesting validation of the debt. I assume this "validation" will be weak at best. I will then either send another certified letter disputing the validation, or ignore them outright, since there is little they can do. Please follow the link below for more info regarding the FDCPA--debtors have rights and CA's must follow certain procedures. My hope is that when they realize I'm not just going to roll over, they'll go away.

Good luck to all

Links:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap926.htm

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=814&Q=245268&dmvPNavCtr=|39518|

http://community.lawyers.com/messageboards/message.asp?channelId=&subId=&mId=869807&mbId=127&threadId=88

Hmmm... Same as "old CT resident"... I got the same note from George Dodd today and I was a Greenwich CT resident too. I just started reading up on this issue and I don't like what I'm reading. I moved out of CT in 1992 to NJ and I'm being billed for 1994 taxes which doesn't seem fair. I'd like to hear if others end up having to pay this.

Connecticut Past Personal Property Tax - Let's have a class action!

I was told by George to "google" FOI for Connecticut and get the proof of my debt that way. I wasn't able to find a FOI form for the DMV. I've written to the City and the DMV and gotten no reply.

Someone is pulling old tax debt from old records for purpose of trying to collect on it and get collection fees and when you ask for proof of the debt there's none. Then we're faced with trying to prove we didn't own something. I can't proove I never owned the Brooklyn Bridge - anyone want to buy it from me then!

Please - someone file a class action. This is rediculous!

To: jrburch

I have also been told that the 6-7 year statue of limitations doesn't apply to taxes, and that taxes have a 15 year statute of limitations. My lawyer said they are right and that these taxes have a 15 year SOL. What did your lawyer have to say about this?

To: jrburch

I have also been told that the 6-7 year statue of limitations doesn't apply to taxes, and that taxes have a 15 year statute of limitations. My lawyer said they are right and that these taxes have a 15 year SOL. What did your lawyer have to say about this?

If the debt collector "bought" the tax debt/lien, the tax issue is settled.

Jrburch: Did the collector buy the debt? If they did, the SOL would apply as your lawyer explained.

DIY: Some Success With Stamford City and Tax Collection Agency and CT SOL Link

About a year ago I got the dreaded letter and calls from Collection Company of America for Stamford, for CT vehicle taxes over 10 years old.

Luckily, the CA did not abide by the legal criteria as set forth by the Federal Trade Commission Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Specifically, under Section 809 (15 USC 1692g), "validation of debts". STUDY THIS AND COMPARE WITH LETTER OR CONTENTS OF PHONE CALL. THEY MUST ABIDE BY THE RULES.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

Armed with the above info, I wrote and sent a REGISTERED "cease and desist" letter claiming a "NULL and VOID" debt claim as per unmet FTC requirements. I also sent this letter to the Stamford tax assessor as an attachment. I also wrote a letter to the Stamford tax assessor as an affidavit that I have paid the taxes previously, and that it is impossible to prove this because no accountants or banks retain the canceled checks after 5 to 7 years, so cease and desist (!)

I never heard from them since, and knock on wood.

Unfortunately, ANRG and the infamous George Dodd recently sent me a letter re. Greenwich taxes. I lived there for about a year. Unfortunately, the letter appears to meet the criteria as per FTC rules, so no luck here.

In response, ignoring ANRG, I have sent a registered letter to the Greenwich tax assessor, as an affidavit that I have paid the taxes previously, and that it is impossible to prove this because no accountants or banks retain the canceled checks after 5 to 7 years, so cease and desist (!)

Otherwise, I will just ignore the letters for the next 4 years until the 15 year SOL runs out.......see:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap204.htm#Sec12-164.htm

I hope this helps or gives some hope to others.......

Regards,

unclejosh

DIY: Some Success With Stamford City and Tax Collection Agency and CT SOL Link

About a year ago I got the dreaded letter and calls from Collection Company of America for Stamford, for CT vehicle taxes over 10 years old.

Luckily, the CA did not abide by the legal criteria as set forth by the Federal Trade Commission Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Specifically, under Section 809 (15 USC 1692g), "validation of debts". STUDY THIS AND COMPARE WITH LETTER OR CONTENTS OF PHONE CALL. THEY MUST ABIDE BY THE RULES.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

Armed with the above info, I wrote and sent a REGISTERED "cease and desist" letter claiming a "NULL and VOID" debt claim as per unmet FTC requirements. I also sent this letter to the Stamford tax assessor as an attachment. I also wrote a letter to the Stamford tax assessor as an affidavit that I have paid the taxes previously, and that it is impossible to prove this because no accountants or banks retain the canceled checks after 5 to 7 years, so cease and desist (!)

I never heard from them since, and knock on wood.

Unfortunately, ANRG and the infamous George Dodd recently sent me a letter re. Greenwich taxes. I lived there for about a year. Unfortunately, the letter appears to meet the criteria as per FTC rules, so no luck here.

In response, ignoring ANRG, I have sent a registered letter to the Greenwich tax assessor, as an affidavit that I have paid the taxes previously, and that it is impossible to prove this because no accountants or banks retain the canceled checks after 5 to 7 years, so cease and desist (!)

Otherwise, I will just ignore the letters for the next 4 years until the 15 year SOL runs out.......see:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap204.htm#Sec12-164.htm

I hope this helps or gives some hope to others.......

Regards,

unclejosh

Okay this is weird, since I made a $200.00 payment on this car tax (before I found this website) someone told me I was stuck paying the whole thing because the statue of limitations starts again from the time of your payment? I never got a receipt from my payment or another letter from George Dodd and NRG saying how much I still owed and it's been 3 months since my payment, no word from them. So I've called there twice, and no one answers the phone. Just a recording that says "No room for messages" What do I do now?

Another victim

Hi, I just received a similar letter from George Todd, it doesn't explain what the charges are but looks like something related to a car purchased in CT. The funny thing is I purchased the car in July 2001 and move out of CT to NJ in a month. Can anybody point me to a good lawyer please? I am now residing in Northern California. The charges seemed to be some sort of taxes charged from 2001-2003. Is it true the clock for the 7 year rule for Collections affecting your credit score starts ticking from the day you get delinquent?

I just received my second communication from ANRC Group in which Dodd says that taxes are not covered under the FDPCA because they don't fit the description of the term "debt" defined by Section 803 part #5.

His letter says, "Taxes are a soverign fee, created by Federal or State entities are not related to goods or services for the individual, but to the communal need and as such do not fit this definition."
So I did not get debt verification or validation as requested in my letter to them. It seems to me that they still have to send information in order to prove to me that I owe the money (I actually have found old bank statements that show payments made, but I'm sure for the original amount of the bill.) Is there any statute out there that outlines Town/State/Federal responsibility to verify that a person actually owes back taxes?

How can a collector assert a sovereign fee? The original creditor still has to validate the tax, or the creditor could fraudulently seek to extract money. I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

I just got the infamous George Dodd letter, and am crafting a response too.

Last edited:
Geo informs me that taxes being a fee created by Federal or State entities are not related to goods or services for the individual and therefore not subject to the FDPCA. Taxes are not a debt covered by the definition of "debt" as described in Section 803 part #5. In other word they are saying that the FDPCA rules that govern debt collectors does not apply to taxes. They are refusing to validate the tax debt and are saying that I can't bring lawsuit, but in the letter I got from them today they're obviously hiding behind the fact that the tax debt is not owned by them and referring it back to the Town of Seymour.

This third communication sounds like they're trying to act as if they haven't heard from me at all! This time they're threatening me with, "unless we receive either communication from you or payment within 20 days we may feel obligated to recommend to the client that they report to credit bureau."

I've found old bank statements (thank heaven I'm a paper packrat!) that show payments made to the Town of Seymour just before I moved in 2000, but I need the original billing amount to determine if this bill has already been paid, plus they don't reference an automobile on two of the accounts (one smaller bill for 2000 and the bill for 2001.) As for the taxes they're trying to get me for 2001, I did not live in CT then and have my moving van documents and, again, bank statements showing payment to the Oregon DMV and my son's high school registration fees.

I am going to resend both of my letters registered mail this time at the same time - that way I'll have the signed stub as evidence because if they report to the credit agencies without validating or verifying the debt I am going to send copies to Senator Wyden. I told his office about this and they told me that if I can't get Connecticut to back off to forward everything to them and they'd help me.

Is there a website where can I get legal information that covers debt verification as related to taxes? I want to know if I can bring a lawsuit.

Connecticut IS the 5th ring of hell!

Last edited:
I just got my letter yesterday. My husband and I happily left Danbury, CT over 13 years ago and now the United Adjustment Corporation informs me that my husband and I owed the city of Danbury $1,271.50. It seems to be because we didn't mail back our old license plates to the Danbury DMV when we moved back to California and we are being charged vehicle tax on our two cars plus 13 years of interest at 18%. (I am waiting for a letter from United Adjustment Corporation with the exact details). Now we are being threatened with a lawsuit and a damaged credit rating if we don't pay up. If I was a more suspicious individual I might wonder if the city waited 13 years with no effort to notify us of this debt in order to collect a big fat interest penalty from unsuspecting citizens. After reading the above posts it looks like most people's "debt" is over 10 years old.

I found the post that said if the debt collector bought the tax debt, the tax issue is settled and a statute of limitation applies. One of the many e-mails I sent yesterday was to the mayor of Danbury. In his second, somewhat nasty reply to me he said, "We sold your unpaid tax bill to UAC. That is what we do with delinquent accounts." Does this means a SOL applies?

"Connecticut is the 5th ring of hell." I remember that movie, The Ref with Dennis Leary. My husband and I saw that while we were still living in CT and laughed our asses off!

You only have a couple years left regardless because CT has a fifteen year statute of limitations for tax debt. Actually, if they really did sell your debt, then I believe that the regular statute of limitation of 7 years applies and you should send them (CA) a cease and desist letter. I sent my follow up letter asking a second time for debt validation and have given them 15 days to respond. Next step for me is cease and desist and after that possibly a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back