Is Reassignment and threats Retaliation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFL

I work in an office for a large Corporation. I was having difficulty getting along with a supervisor and I think he might be discriminating because I'm a woman. I raised a complaint with HR in writing. They said they are going to investigate.

Three days later my supervisor comes to me and threatens that I will never get away with making such stupid claim. Later that week, he takes away some of my key job responsibilities and restricts the work I can do.

Should I contact an Attorney that this could potentially be retaliation for raising a discrimination complaint?

Let's start with: What makes you believe you were being discriminated against because you are a woman? Can you prove it? Are there other women working under this supervisor - if so, how are they treated?

I work in an office for a large Corporation. I was having difficulty getting along with a supervisor and I think he might be discriminating because I'm a woman. I raised a complaint with HR in writing. They said they are going to investigate.

Three days later my supervisor comes to me and threatens that I will never get away with making such stupid claim. Later that week, he takes away some of my key job responsibilities and restricts the work I can do.

Should I contact an Attorney that this could potentially be retaliation for raising a discrimination complaint?

No one would do something stupid.

Everyone is honest.

Companies aren't corrupt and always obey the laws.

Society is all of us.

We love each other.

We don't hurt each other.

May you receive your desires.

Let's start with: What makes you believe you were being discriminated against because you are a woman? Can you prove it? Are there other women working under this supervisor - if so, how are they treated?

Well I'm looking into this. Do I need proof for this right now? or just proof that there was retaliation after I filled a formal complaint??

I stated that I feel I have been discriminated against because I am a member of a protected class and I stated the protected class and the state law in the complaint to HR.

Did HR get back to you - sometimes they do & sometimes they don't. If there is actual discrimination, they need to make it stop or you can take further action if they don't.

Also, as I asked previously, are there other women working under this supervisor - how are they being treated?

Last edited:
Did HR get back to you - sometimes they do & sometimes they don't. If there is actual discrimination, they need to make it stop or you can take further action if they don't.

Also, as I asked previously, are there other women working under this supervisor - how are they being treated?

No they did not. I figure they will find a way to cover for the supervisor and say they investigated and found nothing etc. It may be hard for me to prove the discrimination, but I sure can prove retaliation with a reassignment, his verbal threat, and change of work duties.

Should I contact a lawyer first or write to HR regarding the retaliation.

Everybody in the country falls into at least one protected class.

Bob's an awfully odd name for a lady, by the way.

I have a woman friend named Bobbie (actual name) - maybe they call her Bob for short???

Bob or Bobbie can be a nickname for either Barbara or Roberta. My mother was Bobbie all through middle school until she managed to change it to Barb in high school.

I'll be darn. I never knew a Barbara or Roberta who was called Bob or Bobbie.

I may be a little late to the party but it sounds like a good faith allegation was reported to the employer with sufficient detail to put them on notice that you suspect there is illegal discrimination. None of us are in a position to judge the merit of that claim from behind our computer screens. I'm not sur ewhy you are so sure that the company will side with the supervisor but give them a chance to investigate. This is not a fast or easy process. If you have been retaliated against, report that to HR or the powers that be as well. Even if there isn't concrete proof that discrimination occurred, you can not legally be retaliated against in any material way for making a good faith claim. Obviously totally bogus allegations are a different matter. Retaliation must be more than trivial ocurrances and business necessity does not shield you from changes to your job. For example it is expected that if you accuse someone of something, they are not going to be overly friendly with you. Even something like moving your desk wouldn't be illegal if it didn't materially affect your job. It is not however, legal to demote you only because you filed a claim That type of behavior needs to be reported through the proper channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back