Is my lump sum payout from separation agreement tax deductible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodost

I am preparing my taxes, and was wondering if I can deduct the $6,000 below. I know it's not taxable income for Ex-wife, but was wondering if I can deduct it on my taxes.

Article II

PROPERTY DIVISION

G. Tax-Free Lump Sump Payment. Upon the acceptance of this Agreement by the Court, the
Husband shall pay to the Wife a tax-free lump sum payment of $6,000, representing the amounts she paid for improvements on the Condo.

I am preparing my taxes, and was wondering if I can deduct the $6,000 below. I know it's not taxable income for Ex-wife, but was wondering if I can deduct it on my taxes.

Article II

PROPERTY DIVISION

G. Tax-Free Lump Sump Payment. Upon the acceptance of this Agreement by the Court, the
Husband shall pay to the Wife a tax-free lump sum payment of $6,000, representing the amounts she paid for improvements on the Condo.

No, it is not but you can try and claim it and watch the fireworks.

Her receipt of the funds is not taxable but your payment is not a legitimate expense.

Further, separation and divorce agreements are civil matters.
The IRS doesn't care what a divorce decree says.

If one of you owes the tax and you are divorced, they will come after both of you until they get it.
They will tell the divorced party, who does pay, that they will need to sue the other party to get their money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back