1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to resell something like a wii or ps4 made portable and advertise it? Right of Publicity

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by Mauricio, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Mauricio

Mauricio Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    If I where to sell a modified wii or ps4, would I be in trouble for advertising it in a youtube ad? Or any ad for that matter? I know that it is completely legal to resell anything you buy, but is it legal to advertise it and sell it in a portable manner as long as you state that you have no association to the company and all intellectual property belongs to them? I would even rename it as to not mention the name but would explain what it is, for example, a portable wii would he a "portable revolution"

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Probably not, as long as you disclose what it is you're selling.

However, no one here has the authority to allow you sell something, or the authority to tell you NOT to sell something.

You are free to do whatever it is you wish, as long as your actions don' run afoul of your state's (or any other state's laws - in some cases) laws.

What you receive here might be opinion, conjecture, or fact.

What you won't receive here (or at any discussion site) is legal advice.

If you desire legal advice, you'll have to hire a lawyer, or get one to assist you pro bono.

The usual warning applies: BUYER BEWARE.

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Modified systems have been sold for years on various sites. Disclose that it is modified and that you offer no warranty.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Modified how?

What does this mean?

Unnecessary.

Unnecessary.

Folks have been advertising and selling used video game systems, by name, for decades. Nothing wrong with it. Your modifications -- depending on what they are -- might be illegal.