Is it libel, slander, harrassment, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChosenOne

My ex and I had a BAD breakup (well not according to him anyway) . Yes I'm bitter and mad as heck for it going the way it went. Anyway, enough of that, you get the point. We're both on FB, but I have him and his new "friend" blocked. the only way he can see anything I write is thru another profile or, because we grew up together, thru word of mouth of 100+ mutual friends.

I have made MANY MANY MANY references to my "ex" or "him" or "his" or "her" or "my ex's gf" or whatever, you name it, I said it. Usually in response to the many pictures/sayings that go around FB that have to do w/ relationships and/or men being jerks etc.

I've not only made references to him, me, us on FB but I also probably have said things on the internet in general--- and as far as I can remember-- NOT using his name, and NEVER posted last name, or address or any OTHER identifying information. It was always by way of saying, "My ex cheated then left" stuff like that. GENERIC STUFF.

So he CLAIMS he can "sue" me for slander or libel. I say it's only slander or libel if it's lying. I'm not lying when I say he left his underwear on the bathroom floor for 6 months. (and THAT'S exactly the kind of stuff I post). Because he DID leave his underwear on the bathroom floor for 6 months!!!! lol. One thing I MADE SURE OF is --- I NEVER LIED ABOUT ANYTHING HE DID.

I know he just is mad because he doesn't' want anyone to know what it's REALLY like to live with him. He is a classic textbook case of passive aggressive and I spent YEARS thinking there was something wrong with ME. Like i was losing my mind and going crazy because he'd blow a cork saying he told me something when he never did.

Sorry, tangent---- Ok, so CAN HE bring me up on charges or sue me for libel or slander because of ANONYMOUS stuff I post on the internet? I mean, if I say, "my ex dyes his hair", and it's true-- is it still slander? It certainly can be proven it's true. The stuff I say, is it just my word against his and thus has no proof? (oh but I DO have some proof of his underwear lying on the bathroom floor for 6 months)

Remember--- I've NEVER used his last name, nor indicated who he is, or where he lives, except for FB and if I'm posting somewhere where one of our 100+ mutual friends/family would see, it's "I know someone like that" or "I agree" or "That's so true" I have never said, "'So-and-so' is just like that" or "'So-and-So' cheated on me" etc, etc.

I hope you can understand my post and my questions. Thanks.

Oh and here's one more: If I'm texting him, and he says, "leave me alone" and I text him another sentence (because I can only type so much in each text), then he responds back , is it considered harassment on my part? He has said it a few times in the course of a conversation, but he always responds back at some point. Does that make his "Leave Me Alone" null and void?

PS-- I'm not scared of him at all, I'm just curious is all, as I do like law stuff and this is intriguing. I know "Truth is an absolute defense" and he has to prove what I say anonymously and generically is false, and that I don't have to prove it's true. (but I can anyway). At least that's what I just read in another post about someone having problems on Facebook.

Last edited:
I never speak or write of things I no longer (or perhaps never) care(ed) about.

He can sue you.

Anyone can sue anyone they wish for a filing fee and completing some forms.

That said, if he sued you for these alleged remarks, he'd lose, assuming it as you describe.

If it worries you, why not stop mentioning him?

I've also learned that most people think another person's trash is neat.

She's with the bum now, so what do you care?

Finally, do you think it improves YOUR image by acknowledging you did nothing with his soiled underwear lay on the floor for six months, but walk over it????

I'd never speak of him or his antics ever again.

That will get his panties in more of a wad than what you admitted to having said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back