Is it legal for a non-police officer to run automobile plates to gain your name and location?

2protectMe

Jurisdiction
Florida
A civilian ran the plates of my vehicle through his companies insurance to locate my name and address. In gaining my name he then proceeded to stalk my facebook page to find a friend that happened to be riding with me. Once he learned the name of my friend he printed photos and name of said friend then filed a report with police on a supposed incident. In this report he explained how he obtained my information illegally to locate this person. I am a very law abiding person and have not commited any crimes in my life. Do not have a researchable record of any kind and cannot be googled. I am very private of my information. What has this man opened my personal information too and what can i do to alert athorities of his crimes against me? How can i protect my name, personal information and any others in the future?

The state of Florida, as well as dozens of ther states sells your personal information it collects to databases for curious people to buy.

States have been doing the throughout the 21st century.
I call it DATA PIMPING.

The state of Florida enacted a Driver Privacy Protection Act which provides motorists with a means of limiting (with certain exceptions) who is allowed access to motor vehicle and driver license records.

The Florida DMV provides a form on their web site through which people can keep this information private.

Here's how the state gets you:

Florida state law says such records are subject to public disclosure unless individuals specifically limit access to them by invoking their right to "opt out."

Read this:

FL agency sells drivers' license information

Florida

One last comment.

These websites are just two of dozens of database websites where, for a fee, you can look up almost anything on almost anyone.

www.publicdata.com

www.spokeo.com

If his insurance company is granted access by the Florida DMV there would be an agreement outlining the permissible uses of that system. If he accessed your information for personal reasons and you have no business relationship with that agency then he would be in violation. You could report him to the Florida DMV.

Back