Is it illegal to sublet higher for a higher price in San Francisco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFSublet

I'm subletting my apartment for the first time.
I will be leaving it furnished, and am including an estimate of utility costs in the rent I am asking. It is legal for me to sublet, and my roommates have done it many times.
I have heard about many people in New York subletting for a higher price than their rent, I was thinking about doing that in San Francisco for a month. My current rent is extremely low for my neighborhood, asking a little more I've gotten many requests to sublet my room.
Recently someone told me it was illegal to sublet for a higher price. If it is I certainly do not want to!
I was under the impression it is common practice, at least in New York.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

The ability to sublet is first determined by your lease.

If your lease doesn't prohibit sublettimg, the price for which you lease it is determined by what you can get a willing sub-lessee to pay.

SFO has some tent controlled apartments, much like NYC.

If your apartment is rent controlled, subletting might not be leagal, and if it is, your sublet arrangement might not ape you to charge more than your own rent!!!

Before you embark on this dangerous pursuit, it might be wise to speak with your landlord about your intentions.

You also need to understand, that the landlord van still bring an eviction action against your tenant.

Bigger than that possibility, however, is the fact that YOU assume responsibility for your tenant's actions!!!

In today's world, subletting is very risky, and often unwise!!

Our landlord allows us to sublet; my roommates have subletted many times before with no problems. My concern is more to do with legality of rental prices, and if there are any restrictions on sublet prices. I am renting this room furnished and including an estimated cost of utilities with the requested sublet price.
If there is no law prohibiting requesting a higher sublet price, I will go ahead and hope I do not encounter any problems with my subletter!

Thanks for your advice.

SFSublet said:
Our landlord allows us to sublet; my roommates have subletted many times before with no problems. My concern is more to do with legality of rental prices, and if there are any restrictions on sublet prices. I am renting this room furnished and including an estimated cost of utilities with the requested sublet price.
If there is no law prohibiting requesting a higher sublet price, I will go ahead and hope I do not encounter any problems with my subletter!

Thanks for your advice.

SFO has rent control laws similar to NYC.

If you live in a rent controlled unit, you must adhere to the city ordinance when setting rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back