Is a Quick Claim Deed necessary for

BAM12

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Ok, my husband and I are in Virginia and going through the process of completing tasks per our final decree, which has been signed and notarized but not submitted to the court, yet. My soon-to-be-ex purchased several investment rental properties while we were married, which are only in his name on the deeds, and as far as the counties in Georgia are concerned he is the sole owner. I am not listed as a co-owner. I am receiving some of the houses and he is receiving some, that's not the issue. One of my tasks was to create a quick claim deed but if our final divorce decree states I have no claim on said house, do I really need to go through with the process of getting a quick claim deed? It just feels so arduous to find the information on the properties and figure stuff out, I would love to just not do this extra step.
Any thoughts?

Google Georgia quitclaim deed and you'll find samples that you can use. Shouldn't be too arduous to look up the deeds or maybe your STBEx has copies.

Google Georgia quitclaim deed and you'll find samples that you can use. Shouldn't be too arduous to look up the deeds or maybe your STBEx has copies.

While you can do that, if you truly want to be sure to get it right, use a real estate attorney. It shouldn't cost a fortune to do that and you'll have a better chance that it'll be done correctly. Using samples online comes with several risks. The first being that you likely won't know if the sample you pick is actually one that would meet the requirements for your state and for the situation you have. The second is that you likely do not know how to properly adapt that sample for the properties you have. Errors in deeds can cause you problems — and money — later. So try to avoid that if you can.

Back