IRS checks forged and cashed by ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewgal68

My husband and I have been seperated since June of 2007 and has fought divorcing me and sharing custody of our three children since then. In March of this year and after repeadedly telling him I would not "give" him the entire tax refund and stimulous check, we both wrote emails agreeing to share and split evenly our tax refund and stimulous check from the IRS. We filed jointly under his address, etc. and the refund check was deposited in to his account and he wrote me a check for half. For months now, I have been asking him where the stimulous check is and he repeadedly tells me he hasn't received it. I just found out today from the IRS that the check was cashed a long time ago after getting mailed on 6/27/08 and they are mailing me copies of the date it was cashed and front and back of the check to see the forge of my signature.

I want to know what laws he has broken, the penalties or punishments that come with it, and what rights I have to, #1 get my half of the money and #2 press charges for forging my name on the check, breaking his written agreement, etc.

Please keep in mind that this man makes more than 4 times the amount at his job than I do and refuses to pay anything for his kids while I live in poverty and have to receive public assistance in order to survive - no lunch money, not one pencil for school supplies, cancels dr. appts and reschedules them when the kids are with me to avoid co-pays, etc. Has time for dating, drinking, golfing, buying cars and $800 pure bred dogs though...

Thank you so much for any help I can get.

You can sue him in small claims or ask that he pay you half of the stimulus in your settlement.

Do you have a job? If not then it is time to get one. Your kids shouldnt have to live in poverty. Have either of you filed for divorce?

Divorce is in process and there is no property or assets to settle on. I am working but it's not much over minimum wage. With him fighting everything possible and delays and continuances filed over and over again by him, - it's $200 per hour everytime I communicate with my attorney and I just can't afford anything more. Attorney is on vacation too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back