1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Interstate compact from VA to MD sentencing modifications Parole, Probation

Discussion in 'Probation, Parole, Incarceration' started by ECEC2021, Oct 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ECEC2021

ECEC2021 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Virginia
    I have an interstate compact from Virginia to Maryland. The conviction is in VA and Maryland has charge of my probation. I wish to seek the lifting of one of my probation restrictions issued by VA. This must be done in the court.

My questions are: A) Do I file a modification motion in the sentencing county of Virginia, or with the monitoring county of Maryland?

And B) If needing to do so through VA, how do I do this? What forms do I need and with whom do I file them?

Thank you to anyone with information.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

You need an attorney. This is not a DIY project.

zddoodah likes this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

My guess, for the two cents that it's worth, is you file in the sentencing county in VA.

Go to the court's website and look for forms and instructions. If there are none, you will have to rehire your defense attorney.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Most judges are reluctant to alter the restrictions imposed upon a probationer by the court.

However, your continued good behavior while on probation is working to ELIMINATE those restrictions.

What does that mean, you're thinking.

It means that if you do EVERYTHING required, obey their rules, complying with their demands; you're freeing yourself mate.

Keep on keeping on, keep hope alive, and one day in the future all of your shackles will be removed.

A judge need do nothing but release you from those shackles for dutifully completing your probationary period.

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

If you tell us what that particular restriction is, we might be able to say whether there is even any hope of lifting it.

6. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

Yes, you file in the sentencing county. Then they will send it to the VA DOC probation department who will send it to the MD probation department and if they both mutually approve it will go back to Virginia where they will make the official change and then send it to MD who will tell you what your new conditions are.

This will likely take a bit of time.