Interpretation of Court Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

colleenms

When my ex and I went to court a year and a half ago, I mentioned that I wanted my daughter tested and treated for ADHD. My ex acknowledges that she has ADHD but refuses to treat her for the condition because he was medicated as a child and does not want her on a daily medicine routine. The judge had the following put in our paperwork:

"The parties are to mutually agree upon the selection of a medical doctor to evaluate the child for this condition and if deemed medically necessary by the Doctor, treat the child for this condition as advised by the Doctor. Both parties are ordered to attend this examination."

It is now a year and a half later. I have many emails to him asking for days/times that I can schedule an appointment. He wants to take her to places that are NOT M.D.s and only offer household tips and homeopathic solutions. He says if I take her to a doctor without him (he refuses to attend any appointment I make) he will file paperwork for contempt of court order against me.

Since the court order specifically states that she see a medical doctor ... and he is refusing to attend with me, can I be found in contempt of court? Can I file anything to let the judge know that he's not fulfilling this court order?

Please help, my daughters grades are slipping, she's 7 and has been to the principal's office three times for behavior problems this year. We have shared custody, but she goes to school in his school district per the courts.

You may need to return to court, or to mediation, to obtain a deadline by which this condition must be met. Your ex is actually the one who is in danger of contempt, as he is the party refusing to follow the judge's order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back