Internet/Weblog Libel

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic210

My former roommate writes avidly in her weblog and posted several lengthy entries about my character, personal habits and actions, (as well as similar things about my fiance) publicly on the internet, much of the content of which is untrue. I should also note that in some entries she refers to both of us by first names and in others, just by our first initials. Based on the language of the posts I don't think there would be any difficulty proving that her intent was malicious. As examples:

She claimed that my fiance got his job because his father is the president of the company, which is untrue (He heard about an opportunity at the company where his father works, but in a not in the same department, nor is his father any kind of executive at the company.)

She claimed I made her wash my dishes and that I told her she was "in a lower class than me." (Never occurred.)

She claimed I purposely triggered her post-traumatic stress disorder. (Never occurred.)

She claimed I took two weeks off from work this summer to stay at the apartment with my fiance (I didn't take any days off the whole summer.)

She claimed she asked me that my fiance not be at the apartment when I wasn't there and that I left him there anyway (Not only did she never ask that, but was comfortable enough around him to sit on the sofa next to him wearing only underwear.)

Also, after she learned that I had seen her blog entries, she set them to private so that only people she allowed to view them could see what she had written, but she has quite a large readership (hundreds - thousands of readers) who are still able to read them. I saved the entries, so I have copies, too, though.

I live in Massachusetts and so did she when she wrote the entries, but she is now in Illinois.

My questions:

Are comments like these actionable at all, or are they too unprovable either way?

Would I have to prove that these comments have damaged me in some way, or could damage be presumed? Because nothing bad has happened yet, I am just nervous it will in the future, as a lot of people read her blog.

Does it matter that she set the entries to private?

I am just really nervous about people telling lies like this about me on the internet where basically anyone can read them.

Thank you!
Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back