Internet forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

aet123

I own a teen help community forum and today someone from the FBI called my cell (my cell number in the WHOIS) and asked about my website and the purpose. I told him it was a website for teens to discuss problems, issues they face, and general discussions.

There are some teens who post that they've been abused and post for help on how to deal with it. This person asked about that and said he wanted to know who has access to IP addresses on the site and wants information about them to track the people down saying theyre being abused to help them. And said that the admins have server access and he was talking about subpenas for them to get the required information and assured me that I wasn't in any kind of trouble.

I don't him that I had to call him back because I was overwhelmed at what he told me and he said he was overseas in london. so hes gonna call me back tomo.

I honestly dont know what to do. I'm 17 years old and 18 next month. Once my parents get home I'm going to tell them but I just wanted to know what my legal rights are in my position and what I can expect to possibly happen.and if i'm required to do anything

The FBI doesn't do that.

Someone is trying to scam you.

You need to call the FBI and tell them what is going on.

They may want to catch that weirdo.

An American FBI agent in London investigating complaints of abuse ... generally a state issue.

Sorry, but this doesn't sound right.

First of all, an agent based in London isn't going to be dealing with issues like this. Second, there is NO WAY that ANY law enforcement agency is going to have the time and resources to hunt for every teenager with a tale of woe and misery on the internet - it would be a snipe hunt!

It MIGHT be possible that he is FBI or law enforcement and is attempting to gain info about a specific individual using a guise unrelated to the real reason he wants it, but that's a stretch.

Wait for the subpoena. If he's legit he can have one to you or the admin folks in 24 hours.

Also, consider calling your local FBI office and give them the number he provided you. Ask them if this guy is a legitimate agent. If they cannot give that info to you or it is not available, at least they will be on notice that someone is up to something.

- Carl

I own a teen help community forum and today someone from the FBI called my cell (my cell number in the WHOIS) and asked about my website and the purpose. I told him it was a website for teens to discuss problems, issues they face, and general discussions.

There are some teens who post that they've been abused and post for help on how to deal with it. This person asked about that and said he wanted to know who has access to IP addresses on the site and wants information about them to track the people down saying theyre being abused to help them. And said that the admins have server access and he was talking about subpenas for them to get the required information and assured me that I wasn't in any kind of trouble.
The request is unusual and I would be skeptical, as our other esteemed colleagues here have stated.

I'll give you a little insight into this whole world of subpoenas, which you should probably insist upon before you reveal any information regarding IP addresses to another source. You don't want to be liable for providing this information and typically your terms of use for your web site will have a specific provision (and understandable) that you will disclose information pursuant to a subpoena, where you have to provide the information. Makes sense and it also guarantees that the person who requested the information had access and that you didn't just turn over personal information about a board member to a crazy stalker.

I had a call from a police chief from Mississippi several years ago when I was legal counsel for a large Internet company. He tried to give me the song and dance about why I had to send him information regarding a user account pursuant to FBI investigation, the long arm of the law, etc. but I didn't bite. I let him know I'm not a rookie who can be intimidated by some cowboy. Eventually I found out what happened. Apparently the free email account from our site was being used by someone to distribute naked pictures of his wife, quite possibly the man with whom his wife was having or had an affair! He obviously didn't want this to become public so he made up the story about the FBI demanding the information. It wouldn't have been much use anyways as he would have had phony account information and an IP address that would then have to be traced to a local ISP which may not even have records retained regarding who logged in using a certain IP address several months earlier. We live in a crazy world...

Good luck to you and I hope your forums help the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back