Intentionally Struck By a Drive While Riding My Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdown

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could offer some advice.

Last night, I was riding my bike down a 2 lane road on the shoulder. A car with three kids in it swerved onto the shoulder and opened the door striking me and knocking me off of my bike.

I immediately rose to my feet. Shocked as to what had just happened, and because the car sped off quickly, I failed to get a license plate number.

I called the police and they showed up minutes later. While talking to the police, the officer got a call saying that they have a car that matched the description pulled over at a restaurant down the road.

They also got a call from someone who saw me get hit, but did not stop or get a license plate number of the car that hit me.

I refused medical attention because I seemed to be okay, and I, unfortunately, do not have health insurance.

When the cop drove me to the restaurant, I wasn't able to say for certain if it was the correct car because I did not get the best view, nor did the person that I was riding with.

They police got my bike and lined up the scuffs on the side of their car, which matched up well with my bike tire. Two of the three people in the car were arrested, and the other just walked away (?). I believe that one or both were minors.

The officer told me I may be getting a call eventually about a court date and then left me on my way.

Now it's a day later and my lower back is really sore and my bike isn't ridable. I fear that there may be something wrong with my back that I didn't realize because of the shock of the situation, or perhaps because of the adrenaline after being hit.

I'm a very active person and really enjoy hiking, biking, swimming, longboarding, etc. I fear that if my lower back continues to feel as it is now, I will be greatly hampered in terms of what I enjoy doing.

It was also a brand new bike that is now unridable.

If I were to press charges, how would I go about doing that?

I honestly have never been in any situation similar to this.

I don't have any money for a lawyer. Do some lawyers only charge you if they win the case?

How would I go about finding a lawyer?

Thank you very much.

If one or more of the suspects was arrested, it sounds like they are pursuing charges whether you liked it or not. It might not hurt to touch base with the reporting officer and ask if you need to do anything more to see that the matter is pursued (your state might have some specific laws that grant you more power in this regard than mine). You might also tell him of the injuries and damages.

If you have injuries, and the responsible parties are convicted, they will likely be required to pay you restitution for any damages you incurred (this should include medical care and repairs to the bike). If you wish to sue them you will have to consult some personal injury attorneys. Some will take cases on a contingency fee basis (i.e. they collect if they win) and others want to be paid up front. if your suspects have no money, and the case could be time consuming, you may have a tough time finding an attorney who will take the case without money up front. But, you should be able to get some free consultations and you might get some good advice as to what to do next.

- Carl

You need to go to the doctor as soon as possible, because if you wait it will appear that you are fine but realized that you could sue for personal injury and get some money out of it. You will need the doctor to say that there is something wrong with your back, so get it checked up on. Afterwards, yes, you definitely can get money for the damage to your property, do your research, and find a good lawyer. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back