injured on city property

Status
Not open for further replies.

harygombus

I recently had a bicycle accident. I tore my left anterior muscle. I've been riding for a few years now. The problem is someone put up a guard rail and I never saw it. There was no warning signs, nor were there reflectors. I had a light on my bike as well. Now I'm suffering for it. Was told there isn't anything that the Dr. could do to repair my leg. I'll have to live with the pain. How long is too long before I can make a claim of negligence?

Depends on your jurisdiction. Two years is not uncommon. If you are considering suing the city, there may be a drastically shorter limitation period. Consult a local lawyer.

I had a lawyer tell me 6 months. I also told him that I don't have any money at this point either with losing my job. I had also been riding this same area for years. Google maps shows plainly that there was no rail when those pics were taken.

Not to diminish your plight and I am not a lawyer, yet it seems you would need to show that the City was negligent in some manner. They obviously installed the guard rail for a purpose to prevent accidents. Does it seem reasonable that they should have put up "warning signs", etc.? I can't say I've ever seen a sign warning of a guard rail.

Not being able to view the area where this occurred does not allow us to fully understand the situation. My point is only to make you aware that you might not have as strong of a case as you think.

If you have an opinion from a local lawyer already saying 6 months, I would go with that.

I would also concur with FlaRiptide's opinion. Simply changing things isn't in and of itself negligence. What was negligent about installing the guard rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back