Injured myself outside work and resigned still eligible?

W

WhiteSox

Jurisdiction
Illinois
This is in Illinois:
I had injured myself weight lifting off work hours on my second day of a job and was not able to work due to the job being a stocking job.
I had told the manager this and that I wasn't able to work and that I resign.
Will I have any chance of receiving benefits?
I initially didn't even think the job qualified to be reported as I only worked 10 hours 1 day training one day working. It came up when I was inquiring on another matter.

I seriously doubt it but with Unemployment the only way to know for sure is to file and they will let you know.

Whether you FINANCIALLY qualify will depend not on that job, but on any previous jobs in the lookback quarters. If you don't qualify financially, it doesn't matter why you left the job.

But assuming that you do qualify financially, it will be THIS job that determines if you are out of work through no fault of your own. I would expect you to be denied but I've seen some weird decisions out of UI.

In Illinois, if you can find the RIGHT WC lawyer to take your case, you just might be amazed.

I don't know if workers compensation is applicable based upon the statement "off work hours" with regard to the weight lifting. If you were injured in the gym and couldn't perform work in a stock room job, this would not be covered under workers compensation. As to whether you have disability insurance is another question which you can answer.

Back