1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Injured myself outside work and resigned still eligible?

Discussion in 'Unemployment Insurance & Benefits' started by WhiteSox, Mar 24, 2017.

1. WhiteSox

WhiteSox Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Illinois
    This is in Illinois:
    I had injured myself weight lifting off work hours on my second day of a job and was not able to work due to the job being a stocking job.
    I had told the manager this and that I wasn't able to work and that I resign.
    Will I have any chance of receiving benefits?
    I initially didn't even think the job qualified to be reported as I only worked 10 hours 1 day training one day working. It came up when I was inquiring on another matter.

2. txls

txls Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt it but with Unemployment the only way to know for sure is to file and they will let you know.

3. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Whether you FINANCIALLY qualify will depend not on that job, but on any previous jobs in the lookback quarters. If you don't qualify financially, it doesn't matter why you left the job.

But assuming that you do qualify financially, it will be THIS job that determines if you are out of work through no fault of your own. I would expect you to be denied but I've seen some weird decisions out of UI.

Michael Wechsler likes this.
  4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

In Illinois, if you can find the RIGHT WC lawyer to take your case, you just might be amazed.

5. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

I don't know if workers compensation is applicable based upon the statement "off work hours" with regard to the weight lifting. If you were injured in the gym and couldn't perform work in a stock room job, this would not be covered under workers compensation. As to whether you have disability insurance is another question which you can answer.

6. cynthiag

cynthiag Active Member

I thought the OP's question had to do with UI, not WC.