Inheritance Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmm60

My boyfriend just found out that his mother DIED A MONTH AGO because he received probate paperwork from an attorney in the mail. His mother's wil was changed or written about two months before she died. In the will she lists my boyfriend and his brother as her children ( although in the will it has my boyfirend's birth year wrong) and she leaves everything, ( her estate valued at a little over a million dollars) to my boyfriend's brother and if he dies then to his wife.
My boyfriend and I both know that she would never leave him out of the will, but his brother has any and all paperwork and HE NEVER CONTACTED US TO TELL US SHE DIED!! The only reason we found out was because of the letter we received from the attorney yesterday. The paperwork says she died on January 31, 2011. We don't know anything, if there was a funeral, or ?? It is so sad and I can not possibly tell you how it feels! I can't believe it is real!
He and his brother don't get along, but we are both beyond shocked to think that he never even called us! It just doesn't make sense. I talked to her on her birthday which was about 2 months ago and she wasn't sick she was fine and everything was good when I talked to her.
The will is a two page form that was signed by two witnesses but it is a very basic form and it doesn't say much.
The signature on the will is not hers I am positive, she always signs her name with her middle initital and she has a very distinctive signature, but two witnesses signed the second page.

Is there anything he can do? Is it worth it to contact a lawyer and contest the will? I just don't understand how this could happen.

For that much in assets, I would contact a lawyer & see what he/she thinks about contesting the validity of the will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back