inheritance going to medical bills??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the hospitals should go unpaid so that you can have a financial windfall?

My mother is dying of cancer. She has a will but I have not seen it. She has some kind of stocks that I have been told is very similar to an IRA. My sisters and I have been listed as beneficaries. My question is... she has no insurance is all the money going to go to pay the bills? Her boyfriend said hes going to let the "WOLVES" have it all. (the hospitals) As of now there is no power of attorney. She owns a car and shares a checking accout with her boyfriend.We were told she can give up to $16,000 to each child or grandchild. Is there anyting we can do to make sure that the money goes where she wants? Is the $16,000 thing true. We dont know what to do? Please help!!

The boyfriend can't stop the transfer of the entire estate to you.
You should ask your mother for a copy of the will.
You should also tell her what her alleged "boyfriend" wants to do.
He has no legal standing.
He can do nothing.
You are the next of kin.
He's just mad, because he can't touch her estate.
Your mother can gift anything she wants to you.

The annual gift tax exclusion is $13,000.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Annual-Gift-Tax-Exclusion-Amount-for-2009--2010

She can gift more than that, but it must be taxed.

I suggest all of get together and speak with your mother about this thief.
Then you should hire a lawyer and prevent him from disposing of her assets.
He may already have stolen large amounts of her wealth.

Before you ask, if she dies, none of you are responsible for her debts.

Last edited:
if she does nothing does do they take it anyway? And Thank You for your help!

That depends on what it is and where it is.
If its cash, and he knows about it, it'll disappear.
Stocks, bonds, etc...can be negotiated very easily.
Jewelry, gold, coins, almost anything of value can be pawned.
You might want to make an inventory of everything of value that belongs to your mother.
She might surprise everyone and live 30 more years.
Only God can say, physicians just guess.
If that is the case, you need to secure everything before it wanders away!
Talk to mom, tell her of your concerns.
If none of you can, perhaps she has a sibling, aunt, uncle, minister, priest, holy man, even a good and trusted friend?

I wonder if you have any idea how selfish and greedy your post sounds?

If you don't want to be judged, don't post in such a way as invites judging.

So, who should pay the hospital bills?

CBG I think you hit a nerve. The hospital is rich so stealing from them is ok. Seems this poor lady is surrounded by wolves.

Then explain to us why it's okay for the hospital bills to go unpaid when there is money available to pay them.

jwhit3, You and your story really are not that complicated. Mom is dying, boyfriend is out to get what he can and forget everyone else, and the kids are all panicking because they see "their" money going to pay for Mom's hospital bills. What's not to understand? Don't give me this, "Mom wanted her money to go for cancer research." That's completely inconsistent with "Can't she give $16,000 to each of the kids and grand kids?" If you don't like the way it sounds, or we "just don't understand" then why don't you explain it to us?

I think you already did:

When you were complaining that the hospital had plenty of money and the CEO made 2million dollars last year. You edited that out yesterday morning because it exposes you for what you are. YOU are one of the greedy wolves sitting around Mom's bed wondering what you can take with you. I'd have a lot more respect if you just admitted it instead of trying to pretend it's about "cancer research."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back