Independent contractor or employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwarrior

I work as an independent contractor for a Phoenix taxi company. It was brought to my attention that several years ago, before I was hired, the company shut down for several months. I was told that the reason involved a driver who was fired and then sued, claiming he was an employee, not an independent contractor. Now supposedly it was ruled that he was an employee and the company then had to pay all kinds of back taxes etc. If that is correct, it has not changed how the owner operates. A little research shows me that because of the amount of control over how we operate, we may indeed be employees. We are on a schedule. We are expected to call in if we don't work. We are not allowed to take personals. Personals must call dispatch and request us, and we may or may not get the call anyway. We can be fired for any whim of the owner. Now there are many days we spend 10 - 12 hours working and we do not make a dime. If we are truly employees, should we not be entitled to minimum wage. workers comp, unemployment etc.?

That's right.

Although you will still be able to be fired for any whim of the owner.

I work as an independent contractor for a Phoenix taxi company. It was brought to my attention that several years ago, before I was hired, the company shut down for several months. I was told that the reason involved a driver who was fired and then sued, claiming he was an employee, not an independent contractor. Now supposedly it was ruled that he was an employee and the company then had to pay all kinds of back taxes etc. If that is correct, it has not changed how the owner operates. A little research shows me that because of the amount of control over how we operate, we may indeed be employees. We are on a schedule. We are expected to call in if we don't work. We are not allowed to take personals. Personals must call dispatch and request us, and we may or may not get the call anyway. We can be fired for any whim of the owner. Now there are many days we spend 10 - 12 hours working and we do not make a dime. If we are truly employees, should we not be entitled to minimum wage. workers comp, unemployment etc.?

If you believe that, you can report the matter to your state's ICA:

http://www.ica.state.az.us/labor/labor_wagclm_main.aspx

Or, you are free to speak with an attorney.

This is a little forum on the vast internet.
We are not a court of competent jurisdiction in the great State of AZ.
Any pronouncements we might make are meaningless.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back