inconsistency in new administration nursing home billing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alouette

A spouse has been on the same nursing home for more than 5 years, billing for share of medicaid cost has been fine until mid last year when I was told that now that medicare is primary and private insurance secondary coast sharing was no longer due. I was skeptic at first, received no billing for almost 6 months. However last December I received a retroactive bill stating that a computer glitch was the culprit. I was a bit surprise and request copy of medicaid determination for the 2012 and later 2013 in order to proceed taking into account the contradictory information. the nursing home refused to provide the document and instead I receive a letter from their lawyer , together with 2012 medicaid paper. The lawyer's letter stated that as I REFUSED to turn over the requested monthly income, which is now a very large for my standard, I may be subject to investigation by the Ombudsmand for Insitutionalized Elderly and/or criminal prosecution.
I never refused to pay, all I asked in writing 4 times is the justification for such a change in order to move on.
What should my follow-up to that letter if any, if any? Will it be necessary for me to seek legal representation which I cannot really afford?

I suggest you speak with a local lawyer. Anytime a threat of criminal wrongdoing is thrown about, you're foolish to ignore it. See a lawyer, ASAP.

Last edited:
You said you can't afford legal representation - you do need a lawyer. You can try your local legal aid society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back