In the face of terror

Status
Not open for further replies.

archipelago

Welcome to America, Hometown, USA!

Aim: Though the title line may seem very broad and dramatic, the question concerns a very specific case, with the aim in mind to find out 1) whether or not a particular expression in and of itself constitutes a crime and 2) if not or unclear, whether a case could be made and how.

Context: I live in Santa Cruz, California, on the campus of UCSC, where a car was firebombed early in the morning, nearly at the same time that a house was firebombed in a neighborhood not far away. The case has fallen under the jurisdiction of the FBI and is being investigated as "domestic terrorism." The two individuals apparently targeted both work at UCSC, both biomedical researchers. Animal rights activists are suspected, though there is no released information at this time.

Earlier in the week, a pamphlet was apparently discovered at a local cafe and reported to the police that is being linked to the case. The details concerning the pamphlet are also unknown in terms of who produced it and why, who turned it in and when they found it and where, and how long if at all it remained in public view. We have only the police report which suggests that the police arrived at the cafe's corner, where an unidentified individual was standing with approximately a dozen handmade pamphlets, saying he was a customer and found them inside the cafe.

Question: Does the pamphlet itself constitute a crime? if so, what sort and why? if not, why not? if not known, what else would have to be determined?

Details: The pamphlet has not been released to the public in full. The facts so far are as follows:

Front cover: language to the effect of "murderers and torturers" as in a WANTED poster.

Back cover: language to the effect of "We know where you work. We know where you live. We will not ever stop until you stop your abuse."

Inside: the names, photos, home addresses, home phone numbers of 13 individuals, most of whom work for UCSC and are scientists (though it has been reported that at least 3 mistakes were found in the information, so not all turned out to be connected to UC science research or animal research for that matter)

I have read about "harm" and about "clear and present danger" and about "imminent illegal activity" and even about "hate speech," but none of these seem to cover the particulars very well so I am puzzled about whether or not this is in fact protected speech and secondarily curious about how a case could be made somehow that argues that it is not protected speech.

Also I welcome general views about the situation, either as I have presented it or based on national media coverage, by people who are versed in the legal and/or ethical issues involved. But let me say that my post aims simply (in so far as that is possible) to address the particularities of the case in terms not of terrorism per se, but the ways in which law enforcement would go about prosecuting the case with regard to the existence of the pamphlet in question. And there are reasons for this focus, but suffice it to say, with perhaps a risk of hyberbole: the firebombs are the violence, but the pamphlet is the terrorism. Why would I say such a thing? Many details but basically you have to understand and disregard what might have appeared in the media about the incidents. Were we only dealing with a situation of firebombings that targeted University researchers, we would have one situation, but it wouldn't necessary or at least would be open to argument as to whether it were "domestic terrorism" straightforward, no questions asked. And what is behind that statement? Many things, but the most factual and inarguable is that the firebombings, despite unfortunately what has been released to the public thus far, are NOT readily or easily tied to the suspected groups related to animal rights. Why? Because the firebomb on campus where I live occurred without regard to the issue of animals and research in any way. The researcher involved does not work with animals but with yeast, a fact readily available to anyone who simply has a search engine and can type in "yeast" to the UCSC site.

In other words, with only two firebombings as the only thing to go on, albeit connected in lots of ways, we still would not have a clear or reasonable, let alone provable case, that it has to do with so-called "animal rights terrorism." How could we, if the two researchers did not have in common animal research?

In case it is not clear or concisely put, my understanding is based on the fact that it is in the pamphlet, found days before actual acts of violence, related or not (meaning that it has not yet been stated nor confirmed although the FBI is clearly proceeding with that in place as a fact. That underscores my point that that the pamphlet is worth trying to undertsand in terms of law (not to mention other legitimate and even more pressing issues).

So I repeat, what about the pamphlet itself, even just based on the limited information released so far, that raises legal issues and concerns? And how are the law enforcement involved going to to make a case, since it is obvious that the pamphlet does skirt the issues involved in a whole range of precedents about this sort of problem?

I am hesitant to add, but have to, based squarely on practical matters, though ethical issues and basic codes of civil conduct too are at stake, that I don't want to be exposed to thoughtless expressions that dismiss the impact of the terrorist threats, or that nit-pick in such a way that is humiliating and in a sense harmful

I welcome real and truthful statements, even those that argue the points in ways that I may or may not think are helpful or whatever else I might happen to possibly think. Just keep in mind, please, out of common decency, that people's lives have been and continue to be at risk. And since I live here and could also have been bombed and still live with the reality that it may happen again, this is rather serious and even urgent.

Therefore I will say right up front that any insinuations or rudeness of any kind, i will try not to engage, even if I have reasonable argument against. It is not only not worth the time and effort but is ethically repugnant and so not to be tolerated, on a whole range of grounds, but there are a whole range of reasons why such things would and indeed should be avoided.

Remember, though it is sad to have to state this to people who should be ethically committed to understanding (here i am not attacking the site, but rather commenting in a broad way so as to head off certain types of unrestrained or thoughtless expression, just based on thinking about it and being respectful in terms of timing and the rest.)

Enough said for now. More interested in finding out from outsiders or observers what the heck is going on and how the heck to fight it.

Well sadly enough the only thing that can come close to to making a statement illegal is the patriot act, and thats only if the statement caused terror in that i can see the information stated in the pamphlet may have. In my opinion even though groups like PETA and the such have always been connected to such crimes, and is ashame they value the life of animals over people. However not to get off topic sadly enough since most likely it wont be proven that they where instructed by any group to perform the act only the individuals will be prosecuted. The man handing out the pamphlet can be charged under the patriot act.

Thank you for your response. It is sad, isn't it? The whole is sad from top to bottom. How could it not be, to anyone, even to animal rights groups, involved or not, because so-called "innocents" were harmed in the name of ideology. How is that defensible? or even strategic? Unless one is willing to go so far as to include as strategic the bombing of random targets, which I have actually seen people do. A rather difficult thing to even try to understand at all because it is so contrary to humane values, to ethics, to compassion for suffering, and all the rest that the same very ideology is based on.

But I would like to bracket all of that for now because we do not have any concrete information, let alone evidence, that animal rights is behind any of it, even the pamphlet, so it therefore isn't completely responsible to speculate.

On the facts that we do have, you are saying that the only way to find something about the pamphlet illegal resides in the Patriot Act. And that is sad too, but that is another discussion that I will bracket for now. While it is the most likely and probable place to look in law for how the case might be made, I still wonder if there are not other places as well.

I am not sure that I can agree--or least it seems to be to be open to debate--that that is the only way to make a statement illegal. Haven't other statements been found to be illegal long before the Patriot Act? Here I rely on you because I don't know enough about the law in detail to answer with confidence.

I will venture a hesitant guess though based on what little I do know just to check it out and thereby become more educated on the issues, which I am now, sadly, seeing that I was wrong not to be all along.

•Limitations on freedom of expression that have been argued before the Supreme Court, settled, and made into precedents. Bradenburg for instance and the "test" of "imminent illegal activity."

•Brandeis, "clear and present danger," and other related issues about the infliction of "harm" in the form of "fear."

•Incitement to "riot" (to criminal and/or violent activities) with specific and directly named individuals as targets combined with the public release of private information that would enable such activities to be carried out.

Those are just 3 that I can think of that might be considered.

Freedom is a two way street and although some may not agree with others America has always respected the civil right to allow others to express them selfs though what was originally though to be harmless; words. However since the discovery that words can cause mass panic resulting in injury or death, statements made in a manner to bring panic and terror that could potently case harm have been made illegal under the patriot act. I do not recall any other laws preventing the use of words other than using words in an untrue manor, that would normally be covered under fraud. Although use of words have be debated in court, another beautiful things about America is that anything can be argued in court. The true bottom line is that the only true illegal statements are those made to cause harm. It is important to allow Nazis, KKK, PETA, and even terrorist to voice there opinion, because if we ever restrict it then soon the argument that the other protesters are infringing on the rights of others and the right to protest will be made illegal and we will end up with no freedoms. Free speech is a hard thing to tackle, but bottom line is nothing said in America is illegal unless the thought expressed with directly made to harm others.

Last edited:
While you might me correct in suggesting that more recent laws will probalby be more likely, I still with to know if status of the pahmplets.

The names I associate tihese issues, are Brandonburg nd Brandts When I bget a shceI will post some link but here is an exceprt from an articl (tithle and authorign formthmning),}

Words which "by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite immediate breach of the peace" may be prohibited "and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality." Chaplinsky v. State of New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 572 (1942).

Well sadly enough the only thing that can come close to to making a statement illegal is the patriot act, and thats only if the statement caused terror in that i can see the information stated in the pamphlet may have. In my opinion even though groups like PETA and the such have always been connected to such crimes, and is ashame they value the life of animals over people. However not to get off topic sadly enough since most likely it wont be proven that they where instructed by any group to perform the act only the individuals will be prosecuted. The man handing out the pamphlet can be charged under the patriot act.
Why does the "Patriot Act" get credited with things it does not include?

Plase cite the specific section in the act under which a federal indictment can be brought for passing out PETA fliers?

There are sufficient possible charges (state or federal - depending on the nature of these fliers) that could be brought against the distributers that no one has to reach for the boogeyman of the "Patriot Act."

- Carl

Why does the "Patriot Act" get credited with things it does not include?

Plase cite the specific section in the act under which a federal indictment can be brought for passing out PETA fliers?

There are sufficient possible charges (state or federal - depending on the nature of these fliers) that could be brought against the distributers that no one has to reach for the boogeyman of the "Patriot Act."

- Carl

Can you take a moment to elaborate a little bit? What are the "sufficient possible charges" that might be used? I really would like to have at least somewhere to turn to look it up if you don't mind.

Can you take a moment to elaborate a little bit? What are the "sufficient possible charges" that might be used? I really would like to have at least somewhere to turn to look it up if you don't mind.
Not knowing the details or facts, I could only speculate wildly. Suffice it to say, that there are laws in place to cover all manner of crimes - the Patriot Act is entirely irrelevant.

IF the actions of the parties rise to the level of a crime, there are sufficient state and federal statutes on the books to cover solicitation to commit violent acts or terrorism, conspiracy, etc. With a whole bunch of "ifs" (IF person A did this, and person B did this, and if this happened ...) I can hypothesize possible criminal offenses.

If your friend is being sought or has been arrested or charged, he needs to consult local counsel. Until that time, it's only guesswork on our parts.

- Carl

Not knowing the details or facts, I could only speculate wildly. Suffice it to say, that there are laws in place to cover all manner of crimes - the Patriot Act is entirely irrelevant.

IF the actions of the parties rise to the level of a crime, there are sufficient state and federal statutes on the books to cover solicitation to commit violent acts or terrorism, conspiracy, etc. With a whole bunch of "ifs" (IF person A did this, and person B did this, and if this happened ...) I can hypothesize possible criminal offenses.

If your friend is being sought or has been arrested or charged, he needs to consult local counsel. Until that time, it's only guesswork on our parts.

- Carl

Thanks for your repsonse, Carl. I know, and posted as much, that we can only make guesses, but I would like to make an "educated" guess, for various reasons that I need not go into.

So my original set of posts asked what sorts of laws would be involved? Like give me an example, something to go look up maybe.

By the way, not sure you read carefully; I don't have a "your friend" in this situation; quite the opposite.

I could only speculate as to which SPECIFIC laws might be involved, or if the pamphlet by itself is evidence of a criminal conspiracy in any way.

Sorry, but it's too much guesswork to ant to engage in.

- Carl

I could only speculate as to which SPECIFIC laws might be involved, or if the pamphlet by itself is evidence of a criminal conspiracy in any way.

Sorry, but it's too much guesswork to ant to engage in.

- Carl

Sorry that you backed down from the challenge since you appear to be willing to go places with things. And because I have to receive anything close to an answer, no to complain, just saying the truth.

I listed several specific cases in a post above, but perhaps it was not clear enough. I don't know. I really don't. If I did, I wouldn't be posting here.

It is sad to me that people in general seem not to be able to help out with this issue. I wonder why? I truly do not see that it is all that vague or puzzling or even tricky; I simply do not know the Law and so came here for some assistance or guidance or something like that. It is really a shame that I can't find answers.

Sorry that you backed down from the challenge since you appear to be willing to go places with things. And because I have to receive anything close to an answer, no to complain, just saying the truth.
Well, other than wildly speculating with a dozen different possibilities and hypotheses, there really is no way to easily answer and outline all the possible scenarios. If I was being paid to offer up a treatise on how to make a case for such an incident, I might expend the effort. But the response you seek is far beyond the 5 minute limit I try to maintain for my responses. In the end, any hypothesis I offer would be near fiction as I would be creating my own set of circumstances to fit the crime.

I listed several specific cases in a post above, but perhaps it was not clear enough. I don't know. I really don't. If I did, I wouldn't be posting here.
If you want general info on a broad array of topics, perhaps you can go to a law library and see if someone there can assist you. If you want specific assistance on YOUR problem, you need to provide something akin to the details and some description of what you are trying to do - no a discussion of any and all possibilities.

It is sad to me that people in general seem not to be able to help out with this issue. I wonder why? I truly do not see that it is all that vague or puzzling or even tricky; I simply do not know the Law and so came here for some assistance or guidance or something like that. It is really a shame that I can't find answers.
The law is not as specific as you seem to want it to be. Many situations have to be evaluated within the specific fact set of the scenario proposed. Without a specific fact set, all we can do is hypothesize, and such hypothesis could take many hours as the possibilities are nearly endless. There are dozens of state or federal offenses that MIGHT apply ... given the right set of circumstances. Since I do not want to outline every possible scenario, you can either refine your question a tad or seek the answer at a law library with an accommodating law librarian or law student ... or, pay an attorney to do the research (at great cost to you) if it comes down to it.

Good luck.

- Carl

Well, I appreciate your time. I did not know, of course, that you set a 5 minute limit on your considerations. I don't really understand, but that is okay because I don't have to to get the message. Loud and clear.

Just walk in my shoes for one or two seconds, if you will. Can't you sense my frustration? And I hasten to add, at a bit of a risk of sounding uncivil, that it is not MY problem per se, but a general problem, for "domestic terrorism" affects each and every one of us so I do not understand how I am to be exhorted to post MY problem when it isn't MY problem at all, in the first place. It is also YOUR problem, you see, and all of OUR problem.

Still confused about this and it is nothing personal exactly. I was on another site, where the legal types suggested "I" get a good attorney! That is not unlike you suggesting something about "your friend" when I have no idea where on earth that came from. Must be a major misunderstanding, in language use or protocol.

I would follow your excellent suggestions, about going to a law library, of course, of course, and yet and yet...why do you think I am posting here?

I don't have time to go to a law library. I don't really even have time to look up online the several leads on the Supreme Court rulings that pertain, that I listed above. I really don't even have the time to be typing this very message, but I shall out of courtesy.

I came here for basics: the priniciples by which a Federal Crime could be used to build a case about a freedom of speech issue, and whether or not the so-called free speech had built in limitations as well. It seems relatively simple to me: either there are certain kinds of "speech" (expressions whether or not they are uttered or written ) or there are not. "It depends" is a non-answer and a non-starter because it is of course a given for any reasonable person who is seriously contemplating a situation. I don't understand. And I feel discouraged and disappointed, to be be truthful. I won't be abject about it all though. I remain open and steadfast: there are answers out there, and ones within reason and reasonable hopefulness. It just hasn't happened yet. . .

Well, I appreciate your time. I did not know, of course, that you set a 5 minute limit on your considerations. I don't really understand, but that is okay because I don't have to to get the message. Loud and clear.
This is a sideline for the volunteers here, not our jobs. We fill in with spare time and information as we can. That's why the best questions - and the ones that get the most articulate responses - are ones that are of limited scope and deal with some specifics.

"domestic terrorism" affects each and every one of us so I do not understand how I am to be exhorted to post MY problem when it isn't MY problem at all, in the first place. It is also YOUR problem, you see, and all of OUR problem.
Yep. And many of us will work as hard as we can to bring these terrorists to justice. The greatest terror threat to the United States is NOT Al Qaedo or ANY muslim terror organization, it is from Eco-Terrorists.

Still confused about this and it is nothing personal exactly. I was on another site, where the legal types suggested "I" get a good attorney! That is not unlike you suggesting something about "your friend" when I have no idea where on earth that came from. Must be a major misunderstanding, in language use or protocol.
Most people post their problems alleging to be a mythical friend ... hence the reason for the "friend" comments. It is rare that someone posts questions regarding a topic they are not a part of.

I would follow your excellent suggestions, about going to a law library, of course, of course, and yet and yet...why do you think I am posting here?
Because you are hoping for some sort of an easy answer to a complex question.

I came here for basics: the priniciples by which a Federal Crime could be used to build a case about a freedom of speech issue, and whether or not the so-called free speech had built in limitations as well.
They write entire books on the topic ... you think it can be covered in a single post?

It seems relatively simple to me: either there are certain kinds of "speech" (expressions whether or not they are uttered or written ) or there are not.
But it is NOT that simple.

If I threaten to kill you over the phone, my "speech" may not be a crime ... if I threaten to kill you while holding a knife and standing at your front door, my "speech" can become criminal real quick. So, you see, context (details, circumstances) IS important.

"It depends" is a non-answer and a non-starter because it is of course a given for any reasonable person who is seriously contemplating a situation. I don't understand. And I feel discouraged and disappointed, to be be truthful.
Much of the law is about context. The evaluation of certain elements MUST be evaluated in the context of the entire situation and a prejudgment of "this is legal and this is not" is extremely difficult without outlining those conditions ahead of time.

- Carl

Carl, I know you are trying to set me straight, but I have to point out the basic fact that you have now spent way, way more time detailing what is wrong with the way I am approaching the matter than on anything substantive regarding the case. There is something ironic about that, don't you think?

To be quite upfront with you, at the risk of sounding impolite, you are just incorrect to insist that I have not provided details. The first 2 posts are very long, and give plenty of information and context. You came into the discussion in response to the mention of the Patriot Act, which had nothing to do with my initial set of questions at all.

In truth, I just don't think you read them carefully. There is evidence for that sprinkled thoughout your post, where you just invent things out of thin air, like "my friend," and when I correct you, you pass over the fact that it even happened. Now you are implying, when you rationalize this mistaken inference by stating that it is "rare" for someone to post about something they are not involved in, that you don't think I am involved. How could I not be involved? I don't understand. Once again your conclusions and assumptions defy understanding. The only explanation available is that you didn't read the posts carefully enough to see that I was indeed quite involved and very concerned for my own and other's safety and I have actually suffered a great deal from the terror that was induced via the combination of events and the situation as a whole. So I feel that you are not being very open or fair-minded in this case, nor very sensitive to the context out of which my question was asked.

I'm sorry to say that, but it is part of my ethical code to speak out when I see something that seems to be a mistaken notion, especially one that does cause harm. And I must also confront you on your dismissive tone and presumptive manner. You state conclusively and summarily, as if you could actually know, what my intentions are, that is, that I am only looking for simple answers when it is overwhelmingly clear that that is not the case here. Either reread the initial set of posts outline the exact details of the crimes and context of the pamphlet in question. Or just let it go. This continued engagement, just to "set me straight" is counterproductive and just a waste of time, yours and mine.

So as not to leave it just hanging there, I will reiterate, at the risk of being repetitious, some of the precedents that apply to this case:

•Limitations on freedom of expression that have been argued before the Supreme Court, settled, and made into precedents. Bradenburg for instance and the "test" of "imminent illegal activity."

Brandeis, "clear and present danger," and other related issues about the infliction of "harm" in the form of "fear."

Incitement to "riot" (to criminal and/or violent activities) with specific and directly named individuals as targets combined with the public release of private information that would enable such activities to be carried out.

By the way, I do volunteer work too. I am a suicide prevention and crisis counselor. I answer a hotline that serves 3 counties of the Central Coast, close to a million people, desperate and dependent. Once I had a homicidal rather than suicidal man call. He immediately named an intended victim, gave his own name, and left a traceable number. I reported it to the police immediately, as is our duty.

Afterwards I called the supervisor to debrief, following protocol, and I asked the simple question: don't we have a duty to notify the intended victim? She said, no, calling the police was sufficient.

Well, it turns out it wasn't sufficient. There is a case called Tarasoff, which held the counselor responsible for what turned into a famous homicide. Since then it is part of the ethical and legal duties of a counselor to report not only to the police but to the named individual. And that just makes common sense as the appropriate and ethical thing to do anyway.

I spun around for weeks, torn by an ethical dilemma: whether to follow the "rules" of my supervisor and the police, or, to follow my instincts for what seemed more responsible action.

Waiting a bit, I then called the police to follow up on the case, which is something that our agency does, since we are the ones who train the cops about mental health anyway and work closely with them in many life and death matters.

I got the runaround for nearly 45 minutes until I finally was transferred to the Records department, with a young rookie on duty, clearly with no experience except in paper pushing. When he looked at the records, after much cajoling on my part, I was stunned to find out that no report was made of the incident whatsoever. Here we had a self-confessed "very homicidal" man with a named intended murder victim and one was on the loose and one was sleeping as if no danger was imminent.

I asked to speak to a higer ranking officer, who literally laughed in my face when I said, but isn't it your duty to "serve and protect"? He said that wasn't the case at all. It was just a slogan painted on vehicles. He took the matter in such a cavalier manner that it was truly disturbing.

I tried to pursue it on my own, because someone's life was at stake. Two people in fact, for the homicidal man's was too, and I had compassion for his suffering as well.

Well, it turns out that the man had very briefly on mentioned that he had spoken to his social worker. A light went on. If he had a social worker that meant that he was "in the system" so to speak and could be picked up on a 5150 and held for observation, which may have actually helped him as well as protecting the person he intended to harm. In other words, the police were wrong. They actually broke the law themselves by not trying to track this individual down as a credible threat. He gave his full name and in two minutes they could have turned up his file and taken a look to see what priors or what other conditions he may have had. But they chose to do nothing. Nothing at all.

And what is worse, is that they laughed about it, were dismissive and haughty. I lost my faith in "Peace Officers" then and lost a sense of safety as well. People don't seem to realize that non-actions have consequences too, every bit as powerful as taking action. JFK said, the deepest pit of Hell is not reserved for the Evil Doers; it is reserved for those who remain unmoved and unaffected by injustice and do nothing.

It seems you are fully capable of looking things up for yourself and coming to your own conclusions.

The fact that others have not leaped in to provide input here would seem to affirm my assertion that there I just too many directions to go with this. I am also prejudiced by some inside knowledge of some issues of the case in question and this further limits my ability to truly hypothesize.

There are limitations and qualifiers in most every legal situation. If you don't believe that, I'm sorry.

If there are others here who might wish to take up your challenge they can certainly do so. There has been ample opportunity to reply yet none have responded to your satisfaction. I cannot say whether the lack of additional response is as a result of your tone or the overly broad nature of your query. Who can say?

In any event, good luck, and happy hunting.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back