Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks In a bad way

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am from the united states and living in canada. I was on 3 years federal probation for credit card fraud. I owe 15k restitution and had tested dirty for pot (from one of my trips to BC) about 10 months in to my probation.
Before I could find out what happened I made a hasty decision and left to canada. I'm sure since I never showed up to my probation officers office again I received a warrant. I hate having to live my life in fear of being arrested and taken back to the states seeing as that I have a good life here now. I would like to turn myself in and face the music for leaving but first I want to fly to Europe to visit my grandmother who is sick and dying.
I imagine my warrant in the states is for absconding from probation. So my question is if I were to fly out of Toronto to somewhere in Europe is customs and immigration going to stop me when they run my American passport?
I heard that if you are from country A) and going from countries B) and C) they wont stop you over it, but I dont know what to do. Thanks.

Canada shares a lot with the US. Some flags might go off once your passport is scanned on your return to Canada or during your exit. No one can tell for sure if you can pull it off. Cops and feds don't let the public know how their system and warrants work when you travel…………It is a national security risk to expose the system. But I can tell you many people run away to Canada and efforts have been made to close that vacuum. Information sharing just keep going up daily………….I would try negotiating turning myself in with a lawyer than being arrested as a fugitive which would only increase your punishment.

I'm just an average old nobody, but I wouldn't risk it. I know you want to go see your grandmother who is dying , but I think you probably would be setting yourself up. They will probably be right on your heels. They are watching people so close now also because of 911, I just think you would be better off staying right where you are until your ready to turn yourself in.

Canada shares a lot with the US. Some flags might go off once your passport is scanned on your return to Canada or during your exit. No one can tell for sure if you can pull it off. Cops and feds don't let the public know how their system and warrants work when you travel…………It is a national security risk to expose the system. But I can tell you many people run away to Canada and efforts have been made to close that vacuum. Information sharing just keep going up daily………….I would try negotiating turning myself in with a lawyer than being arrested as a fugitive which would only increase your punishment.

I wasn't too sure how this works. I know there is alot of sharing going on but I didnt think anyone would stop me. Its only a probation violation afterall, it seems like a ridiculous waste of money to detain and extradite me over that. I really dont even want to come back to the states ever but its always a good option to have, I'll have to renew this passport in 8 years or so.

Good luck! just be wise in your final decision....Don't do anything which would hunt you or make you payback bigtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back