Important!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayra9

My fiance has been faced with a situation. He signed over his rights in Kentucky with the mother agreeing to it (she asked him to). She is now a resident of Pennsylvania. She is now saying she wants child support after she agreed to him signing over his parental rights. He never sees his baby and does not make enough money to pay child support. Basically I'm asking if she can do this just because she moved to a new state because she is saying those laws apply now aside from what was agreed to in Kentucky. Someone please provide a knowledgeable answer to this question.

I assume that you mean that he agreed to her getting sole legal and physical custody of the children.

Fact is that no contract is valid that would absolve anyone from paying child support, not in Kentucky, nor in Pennsylvania or any other state.

If it is his child, he is basically liable for child support. It remains a jurisdictional question where the mother can go to court to get a child support court order, but even that doesn't really matter, because nowadays there are ways to get jurisdiction over a dad everywhere in the nation.

So if she gets a court order for child support he will have to pay. If he cooperates it will be easier to determine the correct amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back