Other Immigration Law immigration issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jose0528

My question is rather complex. I am planning on marrying my girlfriend who has lived in the United States since the age of 4. I am an american citizen. When she was brought over by her mother in 1990 she came on a tourist visa. Due to circumstances her mother had to leave for mexico and left her here with her sister since then. When her mother was going back into mexico an immigration officer took away the visa because the child was not with her. The officer told her mother that once she brought the child to the immgration offices she could have the visa back, but because the child(my girlfriend)was in the United States she didn't return due to fear. A few months later her mother recieved letters in the mail from immigration telling her that that particular officer had suffered an accident, that they had found the the child's visa in his desk and because they didn't know why he had it in his pocession if she could go pick it up. Her mother never went. Now we (my girlfriend and I ) have spoken to a pro bono immigration lawyer that is part of a church diosis. She stated that because my girlfriend did come into the country legally as a child we would just need to file an adjustment of status. Unfourtunately her mother cannot find any record of that visa, but she has renewed her own visa since. My question is can a record of that visa be requested from immigration by myself or a lawyer? If so how could I go about doing that?

It has been so long but might be possible. The local embassy which issued the visa might be able to get the approval in their records per the dates…. This is hard because then immigration POEs where not as efficient as they are now. I would only refer you back to your lawyer to make some enquiries with immigration. It would be hard to adjust her status if she can't show she came in here legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back